Mono Blocks killed the power

Re: Mono Blocks killed the power

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:55 pm

I had the exact same problem in my previous home. They daisey chain these plugs so if one looses good contact the plugs that follow in the circuit die. I really hate the "plug in" the back wiring. I had my new music room wired with cryo Porter ports and insisted the electrician use the side screws for much tighter and solid connections. I also limited each circuit to only 2 wall duplex plugs. I have 3 - 20 amp circuits dedicated to equipment.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby MikeS » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Yes an arc fault breaker would have tripped and would keep tripping till the problem was fixed
MikeS

Postby MikeS » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:10 pm

Yes an arc fault breaker would have tripped and would keep tripping till the problem was fixed
MikeS

Postby JimTimP » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:22 pm

Well, here ya go. First hand evidence and account of what I was saying in another thread here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9705. The weakest link is the standard house wiring. If he want's his monoblocks to sing, put them on a dedicated circuit fed with at least 10 gauge wire and hospital grade plugs.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Cat5plus » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:42 pm

These type of 15A outlets should be outlawed. In California it was once legal to have this spring type connector on 20A outlets, but the law has changed in the last few years limiting this type of connection to 15A receptacle only (switches included). In my view the 15A receptacles are just as dangerous! The previous respondent is correct "Over time heating up from current draw weakens these spring loaded connectors, they become loose and cause exactly the problem you see in the photo. It is indeed luck that a fire did not result.
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Previous

Return to General Audio