Accessories and DIY

Accessories and DIY

Postby Mat » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:24 pm

I have been meaning to do a blog post on this but there have not been enough hours in the day. So I will start with this thread and see if it helps build the pending blog post :P

Accessories and DIY

The official VPI response is, we love them! There are hundreds of ways to make the same platter spin and thousands of ways to tweak and modify existing settings for all manufacturers products. We happen to make VPI's more DIY/upgrade friendly. The big question we/I get is, "hey Mat, why are you recommending (Carlos I will use you as the example) Tru-lift products? Why don't you just make your own." The main answer is we like Carlos :D and and all companies like Carlos/Tru-lift. Also every company needs to have a focus and respect other companies focuses, at least in my humble opinion of success, direction, performance, and customer service. We provide our own VPI upgrades and create a lot of flexibility and can make a lot of custom items if requested. However, I would rather have the standards and expectations of a VPI with the platform for a person to add character to their rig anyway they like. Be it brass components from Expressimoaudio, or other forms of metal isolation from Stillpoint, Swordfish (I think that is the name of the company... ect. This is a small community and it makes more sense to work with and support each-other to have multiple ways to adjust one's table.

But is it better?

Yes and no, music is subjective and EVERYTHING has their own sound signature and impression on the music. Recently a VPI customer has been adding a lot of brass to their table and has been very happy with it. One of our high-end dealers who actively owns and uses an Avenger as their demo has tried and HATES the sound signature of anything brass. Is one wrong? Is one right? We are our own best judges of what sounds right to us. I love using the example of red verses white wine because it applies a lot in this industry. neither are better or worse just a different flavor that might taste different or better pending upon who is drinking it.
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Re: Accessories and DIY

Postby jameslrock » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:06 am

Seems to me that is why we have so many flavors of ice cream. And hey, who does not like their own favorite ice cream? :)
jameslrock

Re: Accessories and DIY

Postby mmai » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:16 pm

Mat, with that in mind, would you mind letting us know the thread pitch of the platter bearing nut for the Classic (I have a 30th Anniversary edition)?

I've been trying to DIY a brass version of the nut to replace the stock Delrin version. The brass version would allow me to attach a ground wire easily to combat the static issue, and I am a sucker for brass or anything metal :D

Better yet, do you have one for sale?

Oh, I have a Tru-Lift in brass.
VPI 30th Anniversary Classic (fully tricked out), Audio Technica AT-ART9 & AT33Mono, Aesthetix Rhea
mmai

Return to General Audio