SoundSmith EZ Mount Cartridge Screws

SoundSmith EZ Mount Cartridge Screws

Postby VinBob » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Hey Guys,

Anyone using these on their Prime? If so, any improvement in sonics using these apart from the convenience of adjusting the cartridge and looking cooler?

I am also curious for anyone using these as to which of the four screws they went with and what parameters used in selecting out of the four available options.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Re: SoundSmith EZ Mount Cartridge Screws

Postby Bloodflame666 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:04 am

I use them on my signature and I don’t really hear any sonic differences but it does make adjustments easier. I chose the aluminum ones I think because based on the resonance chart on the vinyl engine site, that was what would make the most sense and keep my tone arm mass in the “green”.
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby tony22 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 am

Vin, I use them on the 3D arm with my Classic (sorry, can't speak to the Prime). IMO it's a good tweak to have - although again IMO more expensive than it should be. In my case I used the nylon screws with my SS Zephyr. The instructions show the weight of each screw set, and you can use the calculators on vinylengine to figure out which ones to use with your cart and arm. I use the next set (aluminum?) with my Benz on my metal arm. You can try them all to see which one gets the tracking force set with the counterweight closest to the tone arm pivot. Or which one gives you the sound you like best (assuming stuff like resonance is all good to go).
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:49 am

I use the nylon screws on a Sound Smith Paua for convenience. I hear no difference in Sonics. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 sub, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby VinBob » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback all - I guess if/when it gets difficult to use an Allen key, then I may look into these but given that it doesn't really improve things other than for adjusting your cartridge, $40 is a little much for such an item and especially where you only really need to use one of the four provided.

BTW, I went to the Vinylengine site and could not find any information for either the VPI 3D 10.5" arm or my Lyra Delos, even if I wanted to see what would be the ideal screws to use - am I doing something wrong?! :?

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby gene9p » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:27 pm

I use them with my Classic 3 arm on my Classic 2 table. I used different ones depending on the cartridge. Lighter for a Zephyr, heavier for an Ortofon 2m black and an a SS Aida. My fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be so these are like a god send for me..lol.
VPI CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS, Lyra Delos MC| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre + MC-152 amp | KRELL CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1| HARBETH 7es-3 | MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables|WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Dorian » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:49 pm

I use them too. As others have said, use the vinyl engine site to determine the correct weight to use. No sound improvement, just makes cartridge setup much easier.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby jonathanb » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:51 pm

These screws are especially useful when mounting a naked cartridge that has no stylus guard.
jonathanb

Postby Cat5plus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 pm

"These screws are especially useful when mounting a naked cartridge that has no stylus guard".

I have a set, but never used them. GREAT OBSERVATION jonathanb ! My A-90 is an accident waiting to happen. Next time I mount or remount my A-90 I will definitely use them.
Thanks, jonathanb
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby muel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:04 pm

VinBob wrote:
BTW, I went to the Vinylengine site and could not find any information for either the VPI 3D 10.5" arm or my Lyra Delos, even if I wanted to see what would be the ideal screws to use - am I doing something wrong?! :?

Cheers,
Vin.

Good question, I have the same 2.
Jolida JD1000P
Prime #391
BAT VK51SE Preamp
EAR 834P
Unison Research Unico CD
JM Lab ALCOR
Phoenix Eagle PSU/RR tach
Nakamachi 581z
Magnum Dynalab FT101