SoundSmith EZ Mount Cartridge Screws

Re: SoundSmith EZ Mount Cartridge Screws

Postby Brf » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:41 pm

VinBob wrote:
Brf wrote:
VinBob wrote:Thanks for the feedback all - So the question still remains, am I using the correct value of '12' for the compliance parameter for the calculator on Vinyl Engine even though the Lyra specs are based on 100Hz and not 10Hz as required on the Vinylengine tool?

Cheers,
Vincenzo.

The VE calculator assumes that the quoted cartridge compliance is referenced to 10Hz. The Lyra Delos compliance is referenced at 100hz. You need to convert the Lyra compliance to 10hz. A general rule is 1.5 to 2 times the 100hz figure to approximate the 10hz.

12x10⁻⁶Cm/Dyne @100hz = 18x10⁻⁶Cm/Dyne to 24x10⁻⁶Cm/Dyne @10hz

1) At 18x10⁻⁶Cm/Dyne and using 17.3g (eff. mass + cart weight + fastener weight)
Resonant Frequency: 158 / sqrt(311) = 8.95 hz

2) At 24x10⁻⁶Cm/Dyne and using 17.3g (eff. mass + cart weight + fastener weight)
Resonant Frequency: 158 / sqrt(415) = 7.75 hz

Potential resonance frequency: 7.75 to 8.95 Hz

You're fine!

Brf - Is there any way for me to increase the resonance by using a lighter counterweight which I would assume will end up closer to the pivot point. I believe the ideal value for me would be at the 10Hz range and especially to help with my subsonic low frequency speaker pumping issues, but not sure how to get there without changing my tonearm or cartridge, which I want to avoid...

Thanks in advance.
Vin.

Vin, using a lighter cw actually moves the cw away from the pivot point which "may" increase the arm's effective mass depending on how the initial calculation was performed. If you want to increase the resonance frequency up a bit, use the lightest mounting hardware possible.

Personally, I would not worry about it as the calc is an approximation, not an exact science and you are within target.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks Brf - I am using the standard mounting hardware (screws and arm lift) which came with my Prime, so not sure I can go much lighter there. Also, reducing the mounting hardware value using the calculator by say one gram, doesn't seem to make enough of a difference to the overall resonance value.

In researching this some more, it would appear that a heavier counterweight would actually help to reduce the Tonearm mass which one would position closer to the pivot. I am looking to get confirmation if this is the way to go from a couple of VPI dealers, which would mean getting a 180g (or maybe 200g would be better?) counterweight as I currently have the 160g that came with my turntable.

I am essentially looking to see if I can remove this as a variable to what may be causing the driver/cone woofer pumping, as I want to exhaust all options before I enable the filter on my Moon 310LP as a last resort which TBH, is looking like the eventual solution for me...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Brf » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:34 pm

Vin, are you using the dual pivot? If not, try it first before anything else.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:15 pm

Brf wrote:Vin, are you using the dual pivot? If not, try it first before anything else.

No, not yet my friend as its on my list of fun things to do over the Holiday season! - It would be quite a nice surprise if this was to solve the lower speaker pumping I am experiencing. I am intrigued to know how this may help with my situation...

One of the dealers kindly got back to me with the suggestion to add lead tape to the counterweight, but I think I would rather use a cleaner approach in either the Dual Pivot or replacing the counterweight with a heavier one! :lol:

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby gene9p » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:31 am

here is a brand new set just listed for sale.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6493 ... nt-screws/
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby VinBob » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:48 pm

gene9p wrote:here is a brand new set just listed for sale.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6493 ... nt-screws/

Thanks - I have heard the nylon ones are not great to use. Would any of the others amount to less than the standard screws and finger lift on the Prime? I need to get lighter and not heavier to what I have on the heafshell today.

Does anyone know the exact weight of the screws and finger lift for the Prime?

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby Brf » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Use your stylus vtf gauge and weigh the mounting hardware
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Brf wrote:Use your stylus vtf gauge and weigh the mounting hardware

Thanks Brf - the thought had occurred to me but didn’t want to have to reconfigure my cartridge! So thought I would ask if maybe someone out there had already done this - will do! :-)
VinBob

Previous

Return to General Audio