SoundSmith EZ Mount Cartridge Screws

Re: SoundSmith EZ Mount Cartridge Screws

Postby JimTimP » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Personally, and please, no offense, I find these 'knob' sized srews ugly and obtrusive. I mean if you need the convienence of changing overhang and cartridge aligment that often, I'd suggest you're doing something wrong.

Just my two cents, and all it's really worth.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:11 pm

JimTimP wrote:Personally, and please, no offense, I find these 'knob' sized srews ugly and obtrusive. I mean if you need the convienence of changing overhang and cartridge aligment that often, I'd suggest you're doing something wrong.

They do provide additional mass if that is needed to get better cartridge/ tonearm compatibility.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby VinBob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Ayre Conditioned wrote:
JimTimP wrote:Personally, and please, no offense, I find these 'knob' sized srews ugly and obtrusive. I mean if you need the convienence of changing overhang and cartridge aligment that often, I'd suggest you're doing something wrong.

They do provide additional mass if that is needed to get better cartridge/ tonearm compatibility.

That’s interesting because if I increase the fastener weight based on using the Soundmith screws, the compliance value drops from what Brf kindly calculated which I would assume if anything, I would want to have a higher resonance value (closer to 10Hz?) and not lower? Still trying to confirm what the ideal resonance value should be although I have been told I am OK with my tonearm/cartridge match by Brf....

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:09 pm

The powers that be say that anywhere between 8-12 is the range you want to be in.
Ayre Conditioned

Postby VinBob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Ayre Conditioned wrote:The powers that be say that anywhere between 8-12 is the range you want to be in.

Thanks Ayre - I guess I am at the very low end of that range for my setup - Is it better to be at a higher value say at 10Hz and be considered a more ideal match between tonearm and cartridge?

Sorry for the many questions but just trying to get a better education on this... :oops:
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 pm

I believe that you are better off at 10 than 8. Go to resfreq.com and hit the resonance calculator tab. You can plug in the numbers and see how mass and compliance affect the frequency.
Ayre Conditioned

Postby JimTimP » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Ayre Conditioned wrote:

I get it, but it's also important where that mass is. The tonearm is first and foremost a suspended lever. if there is too much mass at the suspended end rather than the pivot point, that mass can contribute unwanted energy upon oscillation. Kinda like those "Shake Weights" that were a fitness fad for about 15 minutes. Yup, I understand they'll also act as resistance to oscillation, but once it starts moving, it's harder to stop - at that location (so far from the pivot).
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby VinBob » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:35 am

Brf wrote:
VinBob wrote:Thanks for the feedback all - So the question still remains, am I using the correct value of '12' for the compliance parameter for the calculator on Vinyl Engine even though the Lyra specs are based on 100Hz and not 10Hz as required on the Vinylengine tool?

Cheers,
Vincenzo.

The VE calculator assumes that the quoted cartridge compliance is referenced to 10Hz. The Lyra Delos compliance is referenced at 100hz. You need to convert the Lyra compliance to 10hz. A general rule is 1.5 to 2 times the 100hz figure to approximate the 10hz.

12x10⁻⁶Cm/Dyne @100hz = 18x10⁻⁶Cm/Dyne to 24x10⁻⁶Cm/Dyne @10hz

1) At 18x10⁻⁶Cm/Dyne and using 17.3g (eff. mass + cart weight + fastener weight)
Resonant Frequency: 158 / sqrt(311) = 8.95 hz

2) At 24x10⁻⁶Cm/Dyne and using 17.3g (eff. mass + cart weight + fastener weight)
Resonant Frequency: 158 / sqrt(415) = 7.75 hz

Potential resonance frequency: 7.75 to 8.95 Hz

You're fine!

Brf - Is there any way for me to increase the resonance by using a lighter counterweight which I would assume will end up closer to the pivot point. I believe the ideal value for me would be at the 10Hz range and especially to help with my subsonic low frequency speaker pumping issues, but not sure how to get there without changing my tonearm or cartridge, which I want to avoid...

Thanks in advance.
Vin.
VinBob

Postby tony22 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:50 am

Lighter counterweights are available from VPI, as you may know, VinBob. They're handy to have. I use them myself although in most cases the 160g job works fine.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby VinBob » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:53 am

tony22 wrote:Lighter counterweights are available from VPI, as you may know, VinBob. They're handy to have. I use them myself although in most cases the 160g job works fine.

Thanks Tony - Mine came with the 160g but if getting a lighter one would help improve the compliance and increase the resonance value up from the approx. 8.4Hz value which I have today, then I will definitely look to pick one up.

Does anyone know or can confirm whether going with a 140g versus the 160g I have today, would help improve on the resonance between the cartridge and tonearm?

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio