Wayne's Audio Outer ring

Re: Wayne's Audio Outer ring

Postby MOON » Fri May 11, 2018 8:32 pm

I have a Waynes 3.8lb ( heavier ring ) on it's way. Looking forward to using it and will post after I receive it and use it a bit. I must say Wayne is great to deal with , fast email responses and shipped immediately after payment was received.
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby suntea » Sun May 13, 2018 12:41 pm

I looked at Wayne's video on you tube. I don't think I would like to watch it in action - those metal pieces (look like studs) circling around the bottom are not something I want to see. Looks like it could make you dizzy.

To each their own I guess.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby MOON » Sun May 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Funny thing is those 16 round weights is one of the reasons I like Waynes periphery rings. TT Weights up here in Canada made a similar ring but shut down his turntable and accessories business to peruse his main venture.

I kicked myself for not buying before they stopped making them. I have had the vpi ring before. The great thing is the Waynes ring will work with my funk firm Achromat 5mm .
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby gene9p » Mon May 14, 2018 9:52 am

suntea wrote:I looked at Wayne's video on you tube. I don't think I would like to watch it in action - those metal pieces (look like studs) circling around the bottom are not something I want to see. Looks like it could make you dizzy.

lol.....I don't even see or notice them when the lp is spinning
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby MOON » Wed May 23, 2018 8:50 am

20180523_092529.jpg
20180523_092529.jpg (612.52 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
My 3.8lb Waynes periphery ring has arrived. The machining of the ring is excellent. Before the ring on flat records I noticed a slight wobble of the cartridge side to side. With the ring on there is no wobble at all.

Bass weight has increased, noise floor decreased and improvement in sound throughout lows to the highs. I am very impressed.
MOON

Postby suntea » Thu May 24, 2018 11:08 am

gene9p wrote:
suntea wrote:I looked at Wayne's video on you tube. I don't think I would like to watch it in action - those metal pieces (look like studs) circling around the bottom are not something I want to see. Looks like it could make you dizzy.

Is that because you purposely don't look or is it not visible?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby Packgrog » Thu May 24, 2018 11:12 am

suntea wrote:
gene9p wrote:

Is that because you purposely don't look or is it not visible?

Presumably he's simply too busy LISTENING TO THE MUSIC. :P
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Kaloman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:21 am

I just received Wayne's 3.8lb ring today and had a chance to listen to a few songs. Quick observations were tighter bass, sharper vocals and reduced noise. Quite an improvement, that even my wife picked up on when comparing with and without the ring. The quality of construction seemed top notch and the ring centered quite well using the tool. There are a few things to consider that might not be apparent unless you actually have one.

1) I have the older Scout with the 1-3/8" acrylic platter - 2015 Holiday Special. If you're using less than 180 gram records, the periphery ring weights will hit the belt if you're using the 33rpm setting on the pulley. I plan to raise the Scout's chassis enough to clear this.

2) You'll also need to pull the motor away from the chassis, enough so the pulley will clear the ring weights.

3) Do not spin the platter using the ring or try to adjust the ring after setting upon the record. The ring will shift if enough lateral force is applied.

See photos.

Overall, I think the improvements are worth the price I paid. I also received Wayne's weighted center clamp, which is a beast compared to my other. The ring plus center clamp fixes all warped records and I don't have to upgrade the platter (for now) to use a periphery ring.
Attachments
IMG_9239.JPG
IMG_9239.JPG (182.83 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
IMG_9238.JPG
IMG_9238.JPG (183.44 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
IMG_9237.JPG
IMG_9237.JPG (86.65 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
IMG_9235.JPG
IMG_9235.JPG (86.08 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
Kaloman

Postby Dorian » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:46 am

Kaloman wrote:I just received Wayne's 3.8lb ring today and had a chance to listen to a few songs. Quick observations were tighter bass, sharper vocals and reduced noise. Quite an improvement, that even my wife picked up on when comparing with and without the ring. The quality of construction seemed top notch and the ring centered quite well using the tool. There are a few things to consider that might not be apparent unless you actually have one.

1) I have the older Scout with the 1-3/8" acrylic platter - 2015 Holiday Special. If you're using less than 180 gram records, the periphery ring weights will hit the belt if you're using the 33rpm setting on the pulley. I plan to raise the Scout's chassis enough to clear this.

2) You'll also need to pull the motor away from the chassis, enough so the pulley will clear the ring weights.

3) Do not spin the platter using the ring or try to adjust the ring after setting upon the record. The ring will shift if enough lateral force is applied.

See photos.

Overall, I think the improvements are worth the price I paid. I also received Wayne's weighted center clamp, which is a beast compared to my other. The ring plus center clamp fixes all warped records and I don't have to upgrade the platter (for now) to use a periphery ring.

Looks good!
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Packgrog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:52 am

Looks like you should nudge the belt up one notch on the platter if you can, though, so that it stays at a 90 degree angle. If that puts it too close to the peripheral weights, try putting some small puckies under the cone feet to give better clearance. I had too much fluctuation of platter speed when my belt hasn't lined up as perpendicular as possible.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio