Wayne's Audio Outer ring

Re: Wayne's Audio Outer ring

Postby Dorian » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:46 pm

Looks great! Hope it sounds as good as it looks. Can I use one of these if i use a platter mat, or must it connect directly to the platter?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby adeep42 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:44 pm

Dorian, I'm still using my "Hide in the Sound" leather mat. There's no problem.
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Eden Sound TerraCone Footers
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Postby jonathanb » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:49 pm

It depends on the thickness of the platter mat. The 5mm Achromat I tried was too thick for my VPI outer ring but it plays nicely with a 2mm thick Herbies Way excellent mat that Robert Herbelin (the Herbie at Herbie's) recommended for use with the outer ring.
jonathanb

Postby gene9p » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:42 pm

I took the rubber washer off my table that works with the clamp. No mat. Everything sounds dead quiet with the ring on. Dampens the sound a little bit but a few adjustments in treble and volume and the sound is quite impressive. It is not a big game changer like a phono stage but an enhancement to the sound making it smooth and warm sounding.It will be interesting to hear how different tubes sound now with the addition of the ring. Well worth the purchase and the price for such a quality built piece is hard to beat. :mrgreen:
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Packgrog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 am

jonathanb wrote:It depends on the thickness of the platter mat. The 5mm Achromat I tried was too thick for my VPI outer ring but it plays nicely with a 2mm thick Herbies Way excellent mat that Robert Herbelin (the Herbie at Herbie's) recommended for use with the outer ring.

Eh? How would mat thickness impact the use of a weight? It can impact the ability to use a reflex clamp, if there's not enough spindle for it to grab on to, but it should have almost no impact use of weights. I'm trying to understand what you mean here.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby jonathanb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 am

If the mat is too thick then the sides (retaining edges) of the outer ring will barely reach the platter--if it reaches it at all--and the ring will be very wobbly.
jonathanb

Postby Packgrog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 am

I'm sorry, I think I'm still missing something, here. My understanding is that when in use, the ring should only be touching the edge of the record itself, not the platter. :? :?:
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:01 am

Packgrog wrote:I'm sorry, I think I'm still missing something, here. My understanding is that when in use, the ring should only be touching the edge of the record itself, not the platter. :? :?:

Correct!
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Brf » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:12 am

Packgrog wrote:I'm sorry, I think I'm still missing something, here. My understanding is that when in use, the ring should only be touching the edge of the record itself, not the platter. :? :?:

The Waynes and VPI rings use different centering techniques. The VPI ring uses the platter's side wall to center itself on the record, whereas the Wayne's ring uses a centering tool that positions the ring over the record with so that the ring hangs off the record's edge.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Packgrog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:16 am

Brf wrote:

The Waynes and VPI rings use different centering techniques. The VPI ring uses the platter's side wall to center itself on the record, whereas the Wayne's ring uses a centering tool that positions the ring over the record with so that the ring hangs off the record's edge.

Exactly what I thought. So is the point that there's not enough spindle for the centering tool to work properly with a thicker mat (similar to the point I made about reflex clamps and thick mats)? If that's NOT the issue, then I still fail to see how a thick mat would have any adverse effect on using a ring clamp.
Packgrog

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio