SS Zephyr MKIII vs Boheme - any feedback?

SS Zephyr MKIII vs Boheme - any feedback?

Postby tubes4eva » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:30 am

Both the Soundsmith Boheme and Zephyr MKIII always get great feedback here, but I haven't seen any comparison between the two. I know the Boheme is discontinued but I think there are a few around. I'm really intrigued by the ruby cantilever but it all comes down to how it sounds and in this case, I'm sure it's personal preference. Both would work on a JMW 9 arm. Can anyone give a comparison between the two or shed light on why one would be prefered over the other? Very curious to hear this group's feedback.
tubes4eva

Re: SS Zephyr MKIII vs Boheme - any feedback?

Postby tubes4eva » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:36 am

For those interested, I did have a chance to talk to Peter Ledermann at Soundsmith and asked about the difference between these two carts specifically. His said the Zephyr MkIII was a little better for Rock 'n Roll (I never mentioned what I listen to :) ) with a bit more bottom end and a little warmer without losing detail. He also said the Zephyr MkIII was more durable and forgiving of mishaps. Considering I've got 2 teens and one pre-teen age kids who I encourage to listen and collect vinyl, the Zephyr MkIII made the most sense.

I've had it for almost a week with about 20 hours on it. It's taken me some time to tweak the phono and deal with a hum issue and was a bit bright at the beginning as you'd expect. But now that it's settled in a bit, the bass is deep and fast, I'm hearing more detail but in a natural and unforced manner and most importantly, I'm (we're) really enjoying the music.
tubes4eva

Postby madrac » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:59 am

thanks for the follow-up.
I'm considering a cartridge upgrade, as well. Looking at either the Zephyr III or the Star, as two options.
madrac

Postby pvannest » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:25 pm

I have the Boheme. To make things even more difficult, my Boheme is one with the Maple Shade upgrade. You can check out their web site to see what that is all about, and they still have those available from what I can tell. The bottom line with me was the ruby cantilever. I have a Sumiko EVO III that I had Sound Smith repair. I had it upgraded at the same time with the same cantilever and stylus as the Boheme. The results were unbelievable and still going strong. When it came time to upgrade my Classic 2, it was time to explore. At that time, the Boheme appeared to be the better choice. I simply love it and not in the very least questioning my choice. I do love Rock, but have a real eclectic taste in music having grown up playing violin and viola. Honestly, you will not go wrong with either... They are really close......
VPI Classic 2 with Classic 3 arm
Soundsmith Boheme
Project RPM 1.3 with Acrilic platter and speedbox
Sumiko EVO III
Bottlehead Eros with Mundorf output caps
Bottlehead BePree
Two mismatched 12" subs
Emotiva SPA2
Cambridge Topaz CD10
Magnepan 3.7i
pvannest

Return to General Audio