Static Brush

Static Brush

Postby MikeS » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:27 pm

Does anyone use this brush or have any experience with it? http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Maplesh ... o/SDBRUSH/
MikeS

Re: Static Brush

Postby Cat5plus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Have used this one for years. The "Stainless Steel" fibers are much, much softer than the "Carbon Fiber" ! Still use the zerostat though.
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby MikeS » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:56 am

So the Zerostat is the way to go?
MikeS

Postby mmai » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:33 pm

I haven't tried the MapleShade version, but I've tried many other brushes.

In my experience, the physical contact of the brush and record causes more static clings, although the brushes are kept very clean and discharged properly.

I'd also tried the Zerostat. It worked to a certain extend, but it is not very powerful -- the trick is to squeeze and release the trigger very slowly.

For me, the combo of Furutech deStat and a large air-blower provides much better results.

Large air-blower: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... lower.html

The deStat is an anti-static device equipped with a fan to cover much larger area than the Zerostat, and with much stronger zapping power.

The trick is to blow with the deStat first for about 15 seconds, then immediately follow by several squeezes of the air-blower.

For those tougher spots, you might just want to do a isolated deStat and blower combo.

It will dislodge most of the static clings. For the still more stubborn clings, use a small brush (I use a stylus brush) to loosen it then deState and blow again.

Such process minimizes physical contact of brush and records. I have been able to keep my records very clean this way and I hardly have to wet-clean them again after the initial wash.

YMMV
VPI 30th Anniversary Classic (fully tricked out), Audio Technica AT-ART9 & AT33Mono, Aesthetix Rhea
mmai

Postby Stringreen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:13 pm

That Mapleshade brush has metal fibers in the brush that break off after awhile. These fibers will stick themselves to the powerful magnets in the cartridge....you'll never be able to get them off.
Stringreen

Postby MikeS » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:17 pm

I guess it’s going to be a no go then. Glad I asked thanks for the help
MikeS

Postby Tim » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:21 pm

I have seen several positive comments on the new audioquest brush with metal in the case for ground/static. $40 i think.
Tim

Postby Brf » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:04 am

Stringreen wrote:That Mapleshade brush has metal fibers in the brush that break off after awhile. These fibers will stick themselves to the powerful magnets in the cartridge....you'll never be able to get them off.

The Mapleshade metal brushes are made from austenitic stainless steel which are non-magnetic. I don’t own one, therefore, I have no first hand knowledge of its effectiveness, but I do have an Oracle brush which is similar and it works well.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby MikeS » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:13 am

Thanks Brf I’ll have to look into the Oracle brush.
MikeS

Postby MOON » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:17 pm

Skip the brushes, they all leave stuff behind. I use the In the groove record roller which totally removes everything. I have 2 on the go so when the first one gets dirty I can clean it at my leisure. Fremer has a thing on Analog planet on it. Best of all is the In the groove isn't expensive.

I used to use the expensive Nagaoka roller, but find the In the groove roller does a better job and cleans up quicker and better when it gets dirty.
Prime 152, symposium inserts, Lyra Kloes, Stillpoints LPI, HRS platform, Funk Firm Achromat,, Simaudio 610 lp Evolution phono stage & P -7 pre, W -5 LE amp, Audience Adept Response R 12 conditioner, Martin Logan Odyssey's & Depth I subs
MOON

Next

Return to General Audio