Equipment rack upgrade time (I did do a search! :-) )

Equipment rack upgrade time (I did do a search! :-) )

Postby tony22 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:23 am

It's time to retire my old (and I mean old!) CWD equipment rack. It's been abused and Frankensteined over 30 years to house my changing equipment configs, but with the arrival of the Avenger I'm afraid the rack just won't provide the degree of service needed.

I've been reading about racks for years. Arguments for and against wood. Massive racks vs. lightweight racks. So on and so forth. I do have a set of "givens", that I hope can help narrow things down. The first is it must be capable of supporting the Avenger on the top shelf inherently. I honestly don't want to get into buying a rack, then buying a bigger maple (or fill in the blank) shelf that will be isolated/coupled/decoupled/levitated on the rack's top shelf. I think that means the rack must offer an option for a larger top shelf - at least 24"x20". Maybe larger as I would prefer the 12" VTA mount not overhang the top shelf. It must also be modular, or at least have adjustable shelves. I also need a lot of shelves, so maybe a dual rack option would work better - otherwise I'd need a rack to hold eight ( :shock: ) different chassis. As to price? I can't afford a Critical Mass, or a Symposium, or the like. I'd like it to be a cost-effective, capable rack that is based on some empirical principle. Looks are secondary as long as it's not the audio version of an erector set.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio PWT & DS, HW's Classic 3 with 300RPM / 3D / HRX feet, Benz SL and L2 carts, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Re: Equipment rack upgrade time (I did do a search! :-) )

Postby hlaudio » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:50 am

Hey Tony! Check out Timbernation. They have a cool modular style rack shelf system in various hard woods. And fair pricing as well. BTW, not associated with Timbernation. Harold
hlaudio

Postby Cat5plus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:21 pm

I have a piece from Timbernation "EXCEPTIONIAL QUALITY" and the price is more than within reason. May have to wait a few weeks if it is a non stock item, however I doubt you will be disappointed with the quality or the price !
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby gdsmith7 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Tony22 I would like to hear what decide. I also have an Avenger incoming and am also looking for a rack. My current rack is serviceable but I do want to upgrade in the future.
VPI Avenger Plus, Ortofon Bronze Cadenza, Zesto 1.2, Audio Research 5SE, Pass 160.8 monoblocks, Transparent Cables, Auralic Vega+Taurus, GamuT M7, Martin Logan Montis, MW 1 Cyclone
gdsmith7

Postby tony22 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:01 am

Nothing yet. It's resulted in the initial usual "my head is spinning after all the input" feeling. :roll: I think I've eliminated the FlexiRack and commercial equivalents (Salamander Archetype etc). I've heard one comment otherwise, but I think it wouldn't be sturdy enough for an 80+ pound Avenger sitting on top of it. That wouldn't even be counting the weight of a maple platform if I add that. :shock:
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio PWT & DS, HW's Classic 3 with 300RPM / 3D / HRX feet, Benz SL and L2 carts, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby WntrMute » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:19 pm

I have a friend that uses a Mapleshade rack. The wood is pretty spectacular visually and fully adjustable like a flex-rack but MUCH beefier.

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Equipment-Racks/departments/16/
WntrMute

Postby Gb1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Does anyone have experience with Adona?
VPI Classic 2 #3190, Clearaudio Concerto V2 cartridge, Audioquest Leopard interconnects, McIntosh MAC 6700, Macintosh Mini, Sony Blu-Ray, Magico S3s, Shunyata Alpha 6, HW-16.5.
Gb1

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Gb1 wrote:Does anyone have experience with Adona?

IMHO, I felt they were allot of money for some 80/20 Extruded Aluminum. If you are handy, you can build a similar rack for about 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Most 80/20 re-sellers will even help you design it for free.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby jonathanb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Might as well go straight to 80/20 (https://8020.net/) if you're going to buy 80/20 stuff.
jonathanb

Postby tony22 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:19 pm

spinblackcircle wrote:
Gb1 wrote:Does anyone have experience with Adona?

IMHO, I felt they were allot of money for some 80/20 Extruded Aluminum. If you are handy, you can build a similar rack for about 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Most 80/20 re-sellers will even help you design it for free.

I've thought about this, but even with a solution for the aluminum frame there's still the question of their constrained layer shelf approach. Is there an available alternative to that?
tony22

Next

Return to General Audio