Finally Upgraded My Phono Pre - Pass Labs XP-15 Incoming!

Re: Finally Upgraded My Phono Pre - Pass Labs XP-15 Incoming

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 am

audiom3 wrote:............ What irks me is I have a dimmer in the main house which injects noise into my dedicated audio line. So it seems to me, something must be off....somewhere. This could be the cause of the noise within the XP-15.............. Funny how a much cheaper unit with very similar gain (Phonomena) can be free of the transformer hum/buzz that the XP-15 amplified. That's what really puzzles me. Hopefully we find something!

The noise you at hearing is almost certainly EMI / RF noise from the dimmer. 90% likely that it has nothing at all to do with your electrical line itself...It is more likely being picked up like a radio signal from one of your cables or pieces of equipment.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby audiom3 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:50 am

MikeS wrote:
[url][/url]audiom3 wrote:
My brother, who has worked as an electrician (among many other talents that skipped my gene pool) is coming over this weekend. We're going to really have a close look at the outlets and wiring. My setup is on a dedicated 15a line with a new (wiring and ground are ca. 2002) copper ground pipe that I sunk 8' into the ground myself. So everything, in theory, should be clean. My house was built pre-ground, so I only have my HT gear on that ground. What irks me is I have a dimmer in the main house which injects noise into my dedicated audio line. So it seems to me, something must be off....somewhere. This could be the cause of the noise within the XP-15. Funny how a much cheaper unit with very similar gain (Phonomena) can be free of the transformer hum/buzz that the XP-15 amplified. That's what really puzzles me. Hopefully we find something
!
That 8ft ground rod you installed should be bonded to your main electrical system. By not having it bonded to the rest of your system you are introducing another ground path into your electrical system which is a violation of the NEC. The NEC requires your electrical service to have a ground path of at lest 25 ohms. Your system should not two different ground paths. Your brother should address this.

It is grounded into the panel. But only my media room has romex wiring with a ground wire. The rest of the house has old 2-wire wiring. So, nothing to ground the rest of the house with. Someday I will have new wiring fished throughout the house but not right now. I don't believe this is any type of violation.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Kiseki Blue N.S.; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby audiom3 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:53 am

Letsmakeadeal wrote:
audiom3 wrote:............ What irks me is I have a dimmer in the main house which injects noise into my dedicated audio line. So it seems to me, something must be off....somewhere. This could be the cause of the noise within the XP-15.............. Funny how a much cheaper unit with very similar gain (Phonomena) can be free of the transformer hum/buzz that the XP-15 amplified. That's what really puzzles me. Hopefully we find something!

The noise you at hearing is almost certainly EMI / RF noise from the dimmer. 90% likely that it has nothing at all to do with your electrical line itself...It is more likely being picked up like a radio signal from one of your cables or pieces of equipment.

When the switch is on, I agree. But with it off anytime I am listening to vinyl? It is on my list of little crap to have him remedy though. I'm sure I have a normal light switch in my garage somewhere.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Kiseki Blue N.S.; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby MikeS » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:06 am

I misunderstood you I thought you said the ground rod was just connected to the outlet for your audio equipment
MikeS

Postby audiom3 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:11 pm

MikeS wrote:I misunderstood you I thought you said the ground rod was just connected to the outlet for your audio equipment

No problem. I wasn't very clear in my description.
audiom3

Postby Dorian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Well my hum problem is finally solved. I just took a ground wire with a spade on the end and jammed it up in the bearing shaft; the spade makes contact with each side of the shaft and holds the wire in place. Not the cleanest install but it works. I would prefer a more permanent solution though. Sound is clean and clear, no hum. Thanks everyone for your help.

IMG_8376 (1).jpg
IMG_8376 (1).jpg (305.49 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Brf » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Dorian, that hole in which you jammed the grounding spade is I believed threaded, therefore, you can get the appropriate bolt/screw and clamp the spade properly.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Congrats Dorian and thanks for confirming for us!

I am going to try this to get rid of any remaining noise I have. I just hope the great guys at VPI are taking note of all this with a view to adding some of these grounding features as part of the standard Turntable build which would help solve these problems and help us keep our original phono stages!! :)

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 pm

Dorian wrote:Well my hum problem is finally solved. I just took a ground wire with a spade on the end and jammed it up in the bearing shaft; the spade makes contact with each side of the shaft and holds the wire in place. Not the cleanest install but it works. I would prefer a more permanent solution though. Sound is clean and clear, no hum. Thanks everyone for your help.

IMG_8376 (1).jpg

Awesome! Congrats :D ...Now don't you have a new Herron on the way? or was that someone else? :?:
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Dorian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Brf wrote:Dorian, that hole in which you jammed the grounding spade is I believed threaded, therefore, you can get the appropriate bolt/screw and clamp the spade properly.

Yes it is threaded Brf. I was thinking the same thing. Will check the hardware store tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.
Last edited by Dorian on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio