Finally Upgraded My Phono Pre - Pass Labs XP-15 Incoming!

Re: Finally Upgraded My Phono Pre - Pass Labs XP-15 Incoming

Postby audiom3 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Dorian wrote:Will do!

Did you see my comment about the XP-17?

I got a great deal on the XP-15. The XP-17 wont be out until next year and I'm not sure what it'll cost. I was about at my budget for a phono pre with the XP-15.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby Cat5plus » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:10 pm

CONGRATS AudioM3 You should love the Pass XP-15. I have been running the X-ono for several years and would not trade it for anything. Pass Labs has the very best customer service I have ever experienced with an audio manufacture extending way back to the old Threshold days. Thank you Nelson !
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby tony22 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:09 pm

audiom3, I'm sorry but I can't find my notes for my setup with the Benz. I've been running with a SS Zepher Mk2 for a while. I don't recall exactly what load I was using for the Benz, but 20x the cartridge resistance seems to be sticking in my head.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio PWT & DS, HW's Classic 3 with 300RPM / 3D / HRX feet, Benz SL and L2 carts, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Dorian » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:08 pm

audiom3 wrote:
Dorian wrote:Will do!

Did you see my comment about the XP-17?

I got a great deal on the XP-15. The XP-17 wont be out until next year and I'm not sure what it'll cost. I was about at my budget for a phono pre with the XP-15.

Congrats. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on it.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:11 pm

Jprod wrote:Hey Dorian
Did you send back the jc3+?
Out of curiosity, you mentioned in the other thread that you ran 2 ground wires from the TT . How did you run them?

Hey Jprod - yes the JC3+ is going back tomorrow. I ran one from the junction box and another under one of the feet of the motor. Others have said they also attached a wire to the screw underneath the platter.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Jprod » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:14 pm

Dorian wrote:
Jprod wrote:Hey Dorian
Did you send back the jc3+?
Out of curiosity, you mentioned in the other thread that you ran 2 ground wires from the TT . How did you run them?

Hey Jprod - yes the JC3+ is going back tomorrow. I ran one from the junction box and another under one of the feet of the motor. Others have said they also attached a wire to the screw underneath the platter.

Ok. The reason I asked is that I too have had a buzz/hum. Called vpi and Matt picked up the phone. He was very helpful and suggested I try running a wire from underneath the spindle to the ground on the vpi junction box. Low and behold it practically got rid of my buzz. Just wanted to let you know in case you have not tried that combination
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Dorian » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:35 pm

I’ve heard others mention running one from under the spindle too but haven’t tried it. Where exactly do you attach it? Do you have to flip the plinth upside down to access it? Can you post a photo? Thanks.
Dorian

Postby Jprod » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:59 pm

I took the platter off and the tonearm off. I then flipped the plinth on its side. You can use blue tack or atttach it to the screw on the bottom. I fastened it with adhesive and ran a bare wire underneath the spindle. I then proceeded to connect it to the ground on the back of the vpi. I supposed if i used a screwdriver it would result in better contact but it’s so deep I couldn’t see well even with a flashlight.

I wasn’t thinking and should have taken pics yesterday. It’s all put back together so pictures are not possible now.
I say give it a shot - can’t hurt
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby audiom3 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:05 am

Very interesting that you guys are talking about buzz/hum. I now have it with this preamp even though the Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ was near dead silent. I've been trying to track down the source but I'm pretty much out of options. The XP-15 sounds fantastic but this buzz is a complete deal breaker if I don't get it sorted out. I'm not quite ready to give up just yet but I'm not sure what else I can try. I've floated grounds, added extra ground wire, moved power cords into other outlets, lifted my entire PS Audio Dectet ground, tried different power cables, different RCA cables, tried running XLRs on the phono preamps outputs, switched off all lights in the house... and I'm sure I missed a few things. My buzz is volume/gain related. It's dead quiet until it gets to a moderate level. But at moderate to high volume level, the buzz is audible in between tracks and even in quiet passages. I'm not sure what else I can try but I'll keep playing around this weekend.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby tom collins » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:03 am

audiom: i currently have the nova 2 by musical surroundings and it is dead quiet. this fact alone has kept me from seeking out other options. i would really like to go tube, but worry about noise. i have seen enough posts to be mildly concerned. let everyone know if you work it out and how you did it.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio