Finally Upgraded My Phono Pre - Pass Labs XP-15 Incoming!

Re: Finally Upgraded My Phono Pre - Pass Labs XP-15 Incoming

Postby Dorian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Thanks Vin! Any idea how I attach the ground wire to the underside of the spindle, per my most recent post?
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby VinBob » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:53 pm

Dorian wrote:Thanks Vin! Any idea how I attach the ground wire to the underside of the spindle, per my most recent post?

No sorry - have not tried that myself. If I get a chance over the weekend to play, will let you know....
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Brf » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:16 am

Just finished reading the updates. Dorian, I thought you had already tried grounding the platter spindle? I must have somehow misinterpreted your post as this is one of the first thing I typically recommend. I have been grounding my VPI turntable platters forever. Some of the earlier VPI tables had a ground lug attached to the bottom platter bearing.

The best way to ground a Prime platter will be dependent on the type of nut used to secure the platter bearing.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Jprod » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:35 am

Dorian wrote:Thanks Vin! Any idea how I attach the ground wire to the underside of the spindle, per my most recent post?

The easiest way is to strip some bare wire and shove it in underneath and then fasten it with either tape or some tacking material

The more robust way is to unscrew the nut in there. Even with a flashlight I could not see in there well
enough to go digging around so I did option 1
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Dorian » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:21 am

Brf wrote:Just finished reading the updates. Dorian, I thought you had already tried grounding the platter spindle? I must have somehow misinterpreted your post as this is one of the first thing I typically recommend. I have been grounding my VPI turntable platters forever. Some of the earlier VPI tables had a ground lug attached to the bottom platter bearing.

The best way to ground a Prime platter will be dependent on the type of nut used to secure the platter bearing.

No I never tried grounding the spindle Brf. Sorry if this was not clear.

You say "The best way to ground a Prime platter will be dependent on the type of nut used to secure the platter bearing." So I need to remove the platter, flip the plinth over and peer inside the underside of the platter bearing shaft and try and see what type of nut is in there? And then somehow loosen that nut and attach a wire underneath it?

Edit: I think I found the answer in a post from Harry, here. Will try it this weekend! Very exciting.

2nd edit: lots of detail in this thread, started by Brf way back in 2014. :mrgreen:
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby audiom3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:49 pm

My brother, who has worked as an electrician (among many other talents that skipped my gene pool) is coming over this weekend. We're going to really have a close look at the outlets and wiring. My setup is on a dedicated 15a line with a new (wiring and ground are ca. 2002) copper ground pipe that I sunk 8' into the ground myself. So everything, in theory, should be clean. My house was built pre-ground, so I only have my HT gear on that ground. What irks me is I have a dimmer in the main house which injects noise into my dedicated audio line. So it seems to me, something must be off....somewhere. This could be the cause of the noise within the XP-15. Funny how a much cheaper unit with very similar gain (Phonomena) can be free of the transformer hum/buzz that the XP-15 amplified. That's what really puzzles me. Hopefully we find something!
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby Dorian » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:32 pm

audiom3 wrote:My brother, who has worked as an electrician (among many other talents that skipped my gene pool) is coming over this weekend. We're going to really have a close look at the outlets and wiring. My setup is on a dedicated 15a line with a new (wiring and ground are ca. 2002) copper ground pipe that I sunk 8' into the ground myself. So everything, in theory, should be clean. My house was built pre-ground, so I only have my HT gear on that ground. What irks me is I have a dimmer in the main house which injects noise into my dedicated audio line. So it seems to me, something must be off....somewhere. This could be the cause of the noise within the XP-15. Funny how a much cheaper unit with very similar gain (Phonomena) can be free of the transformer hum/buzz that the XP-15 amplified. That's what really puzzles me. Hopefully we find something!

Good luck. Is your spindle nut grounded?
Dorian

Postby audiom3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Dorian wrote:
audiom3 wrote:My brother, who has worked as an electrician (among many other talents that skipped my gene pool) is coming over this weekend. We're going to really have a close look at the outlets and wiring. My setup is on a dedicated 15a line with a new (wiring and ground are ca. 2002) copper ground pipe that I sunk 8' into the ground myself. So everything, in theory, should be clean. My house was built pre-ground, so I only have my HT gear on that ground. What irks me is I have a dimmer in the main house which injects noise into my dedicated audio line. So it seems to me, something must be off....somewhere. This could be the cause of the noise within the XP-15. Funny how a much cheaper unit with very similar gain (Phonomena) can be free of the transformer hum/buzz that the XP-15 amplified. That's what really puzzles me. Hopefully we find something!

Good luck. Is your spindle nut grounded?

Nope. But I ran grounds every which way when I was experimenting with the XP-15. Grounding the spindle to the block to the XP-15. And then directly from the block to the XP-15. And then directly from the spindle to the XP-15. All three were identical in terms of the transformer hum. Whatever the cause is, it must be from my power.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby Bloodflame666 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:15 am

I’ve got a jc3+ coming my way hopefully by next weekend. Dorian and I have the same cartridge and similar table. However, I’m using Parasound amps already in my chain so I’ll report back to let you guys know how it worked. The good news is that this will be anathome audition so if I don’t likeit or it doesn’t work, I can send it back.
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby MikeS » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:15 am

[url][/url]audiom3 wrote:
My brother, who has worked as an electrician (among many other talents that skipped my gene pool) is coming over this weekend. We're going to really have a close look at the outlets and wiring. My setup is on a dedicated 15a line with a new (wiring and ground are ca. 2002) copper ground pipe that I sunk 8' into the ground myself. So everything, in theory, should be clean. My house was built pre-ground, so I only have my HT gear on that ground. What irks me is I have a dimmer in the main house which injects noise into my dedicated audio line. So it seems to me, something must be off....somewhere. This could be the cause of the noise within the XP-15. Funny how a much cheaper unit with very similar gain (Phonomena) can be free of the transformer hum/buzz that the XP-15 amplified. That's what really puzzles me. Hopefully we find something
!
That 8ft ground rod you installed should be bonded to your main electrical system. By not having it bonded to the rest of your system you are introducing another ground path into your electrical system which is a violation of the NEC. The NEC requires your electrical service to have a ground path of at lest 25 ohms. Your system should not two different ground paths. Your brother should address this.
MikeS

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio