Lubrication opinion

Lubrication opinion

Postby Mr_Putty » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:41 pm

Has anyone used Nano-Oil for anything on a turntable? What about Amsoil?

Has VPI or anyone tested lubing main bearings with nano oil? This is a high tech product that uses nano sized diamonds to reduce friction.
I have no experience with it, but it is getting good reviews. Here’s a link to Amazon product:

https://www.amazon.com/Nano-Oil-NanoLub ... C9RGA4#Ask

I am really curious about this as I have a new Prime (not yet in use) and this product has been on my mind for a year or so.

Thanks
Mr_Putty

Re: Lubrication opinion

Postby WntrMute » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Let's see if there is some additive that would accelerate wear in a oil or grease? Graphite? Too soft, teflon? Nope, too soft again. Sand? Ooo, that would really grind into tool steel. But wait, is there an even harder material than quartz? Yup, you guessed it-diamonds. Doesn't seem to have benifical qualities. Molybdenum might be a good addition but diamonds seem to be the worst choice.
WntrMute

Postby DeeCee » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:22 pm

Not sure if I would use this.

I recall a friend of mine (long ago) suggesting the use of industrial grade diamond dust as a kind of a revenge counter-prank rather than sugar in a car gas tank. It works its way throughout the car and permanently ruins it. Not sure if dude *really* used this in the past.

Hmmmmm...
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby Brf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:04 pm

I know nothing about Nano-Oil, but I use Amsoil oil for my 997 C4s car and I have used it as an oil bath well bearing oil. Excellent oil.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Mr_Putty » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Guys,
Your logic is correct, IMHO, but your scale of the additive is incorrect. NANO, sized in this case fills gaps in the material surface by means of electrostatic attraction. Think of a LESS gritty surface with an oil barrier. OK, I'm not being very scientific here, but maybe you will get the general idea. There are multiple viscosities available, including lithium grease. Here's a description from the product page, which seems like it is worth exploring.

"
Phone: 707 235-4029

StClaireUSA@Gmail.com
StClaire
Products
is Nano-Oil TM by StClaire suitable for all types of metals ?
yes, Stainless, Titanium, Brass, Aluminum etc. it will reduce friction on all metal to metal dynamic contacts
it will also perform very well on Polymer to Metal moving parts.

is the product high temperature?
yes, at above 475 Degree Fahrenheit (246 degree Celsius) Flash point, Nano-Oil TM is considered a High-Temp lubricant.

is the product suitable for extremely low temperatures with armament ?
yes once the armament has been treated (product applied and armament cycled a few times) the anti friction characteristics remain constant regardless of high or low temperatures, Nano-Oil TM will have already penetrated the steel and will perform its duty of providing anti friction.

will Nano-Oil TM help with mechanical parts in conflict ?
yes, due to the high reduction in friction, extremely tight tolerances can be achieved while parts move
freely. StClaire has made bushings with 0 tolerance going on stainless shaft, after conditioning, the part moved freely, with no vibrations.

will Nano-Oil TM protect against oxydation and corrosion ?
yes, the product will provide an excellent moisture barrier eventhough only a very thin film can be observed after application.

can Nano-Oil TM be used with other lubricants ?
Yes the product is compatible with most of the lubricants found today and will improve dramatically their anti friction characteristics.

will the product reduce fouling/carbon deposits in armament ?
yes Nano-Oil TM will penetrate the steel and reduce tremendously subsequent carbon deposits helping in the following armament cleaning.
Home
Lubrication for the New Millennium
About
Christian StClaire
Nano-Grease #NGL-1OZ is a Lithium Complex
Hi Temp & Extreme Pressure lubricant formulated
with Nano-Bearings.
TM
"
Mr_Putty

Postby WntrMute » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:13 pm

Your TT bearing is a very low load slow surface speed type of bearing. You will notice the the manufactures of the vast majority of much higher speed bearings with much greater loads do not call for lubricants such as the "snake-oils" you are talking about. Good high quality white lube has lithium in it to help it perform under very adverse conditions and for well type bearings - a good quality motor oil or light gear lube is called for. There is almost no stress on these bearings. Clean them once a year and re-lube with a proven oil or grease.
WntrMute

Postby Mr_Putty » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:38 pm

Sorry if this seems boring, but I am very mechanically minded and have done some turntable modification a long time ago. My primary interest in the type of bearing lub used for the main bearing has more to do with the noise generated by the bearing (or reflected by the bearing) and how it is affected by different lubricants. My thinking is that ANY reduction in friction will also reduce random UNWANTED noise, while at the same time reducing wear. Both being desirable, even if unmeasurable. (On a somewhat related topic, I have used Amsoil in my car and know its benefits first hand. I also like their grease.)
Mr_Putty

Postby Brf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:17 pm

Let’s start with some basics.

Grease consists of oil (mineral, synthetic, vegetable) emulsified with a thickener to form a semi-solid. All of the very best greases start off with a synthetic oil base (they stay away from cheap mineral oils), then they add a thichener, typically lithium soap, Calcium or a lithium complex. The last step is where they add their magic sauce (additive) whether it be PTFE (Teflon), graphite or Nono “whatever”.

Almost any high quality oil and or grease is suitable for a platter bearing. If using an oil, only viscosity is an consideration. With respect to reduced bearing “noise” it is not necessarily the slipperiness of the oil/grease, but the oil’s natural damping properties coupled with the bearing and bushing properties.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby WntrMute » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:Sorry if this seems boring, but I am very mechanically minded and have done some turntable modification a long time ago. My primary interest in the type of bearing lub used for the main bearing has more to do with the noise generated by the bearing (or reflected by the bearing) and how it is affected by different lubricants. My thinking is that ANY reduction in friction will also reduce random UNWANTED noise, while at the same time reducing wear. Both being desirable, even if unmeasurable. (On a somewhat related topic, I have used Amsoil in my car and know its benefits first hand. I also like their grease.)

How do you KNOW that the benifical effects you claim were due to Amsoil? Did you run an exact test with another car with mineral oil in it and tst it under the exact same conditions without knowing which oil was in which engine? Did you repeat this test over and over? Did you tear down the engines and measure bearing wear and carbon deposits?
Im guessing not. Do you not think if the auto manufacturers could eke out just a tiny improvemnt in gas milage or decrease wear by any measurable amount the wouldn't be using Amsoil? Give me a break.
WntrMute

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:29 pm

Brf wrote:With respect to reduced bearing “noise” it is not necessarily the slipperiness of the oil/grease, but the oil’s natural damping properties coupled with the bearing and bushing properties.

Brf is correct. The damping properties of the lubricant makes an audible difference in the sound, especially if the bearing is coupled to the tonearm to a large degree. I once owned a Music Hall MMF9.1. Putting a stethoscope on the spindle and rubbing a finger on the tonearm made a very audible noise. I did a shootout with different lubricants and it was easy to hear the difference between each one. I’m happy to say that the Prime Signature is much much better in this regard. With a stethoscope on the spindle rubbing the tonearm is almost inaudible. I suspect that experimenting with different lubricants here would be a waste of time.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Next

Return to General Audio