Pivot to spindle distance

Pivot to spindle distance

Postby Bloodflame666 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:24 pm

I have a prime signature that is supposed to have a pivot to spindle distance of 258mm. However when I check by using my feickert next generation protractor it looks to be closer to 159.5-160mm. My question is this, how do you correctly find the P2s distance on a vpi? Am I aiming the feickert pin directly over top of the pivot spike on my arm board? That seems like the correct way to do it but we are talking about a game of mm here and I need to be as accurate as possible. Thanks!
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Re: Pivot to spindle distance

Postby thegage » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Yes, with the protractor mounted on the spindle the feickert pin tip should be directly over (touch) the tip of the pivot spike.

BTW, 100mm difference is really off!

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby 10ovr » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:39 pm

My Feickert only goes down to 180mm ,Up to 320,,, ??? Sure your reading it right ,,Sorry about the bad picture LOL,, , ImageIMG_1292 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr
10ovr

Postby Bloodflame666 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Yeah I’m an idiot lol. I mean to say 2 not 1 lol!
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby Bill Stevenson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:38 pm

My Prime has an actual distance of 261.5 mm. I had a protractor made for the actual instead of the theoretical distance of 258 mm and it works just fine. In my opinion, this whole overhang thing is blown way out of proportion. What do you think happens when you turn your typical record over from side A to side B? Do you think everything all lines up perfectly? Just set the thing up and listen to some music already.
Bill Stevenson

Postby WntrMute » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Bill Stevenson wrote:My Prime has an actual distance of 261.5 mm. I had a protractor made for the actual instead of the theoretical distance of 258 mm and it works just fine. In my opinion, this whole overhang thing is blown way out of proportion. What do you think happens when you turn your typical record over from side A to side B? Do you think everything all lines up perfectly? Just set the thing up and listen to some music already.

I did the same thing. Had Yip make me one the exact P-S distance and one 1.5mm shorter. Probably should have just used the Conrad Hoffman Protractor program. But I succumbed to the lure of the Mint.
WntrMute

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:14 pm

WntrMute wrote:I did the same thing. Had Yip make me one the exact P-S distance and one 1.5mm shorter. Probably should have just used the Conrad Hoffman Protractor program. But I succumbed to the lure of the Mint.

Did you use both and if so could you hear any difference between the two?
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby thegage » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:28 pm

I've used both, and as noted in another thread, if you take the same amount of time with each you (or at least I) get the same results.

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby WntrMute » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:14 am

Ayre Conditioned wrote:
WntrMute wrote:I did the same thing. Had Yip make me one the exact P-S distance and one 1.5mm shorter. Probably should have just used the Conrad Hoffman Protractor program. But I succumbed to the lure of the Mint.

Did you use both and if so could you hear any difference between the two?

I haven't tried yet as I'm waiting for my gimbaled 3D arm from HW's Workshop. I'm currently still using my Terminator T-3.

20171011_182126-2.jpg
20171011_182126-2.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 129 times

While I still love this arm, it is a pain to use the peripheral ring as well as lube the platter bearing. I believe that Thom from Galibier is correct when he told me that the slots in the headshell should allow enough adjustment to compensate but I wanted a back-up plan if that turned out to be incorrect.
WntrMute

Postby JimTimP » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:18 am

It just doesn't matter using the Feickert. When setting the pointer over the tonearm pivot, you have adjusted out any error in P2S distance. By doing that you have moved the overhang position slightly to cancel out this 'excessive' length. So, set up the Feickert, follow it's step, and you'll be all set on Overhang.

This is why it's called a "Universal" protractor.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Next

Return to General Audio