Demagnetizing MC Cartridges...?

Demagnetizing MC Cartridges...?

Postby VinBob » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:58 am

Hey All,

Is there any benefit in demagnetizing your MC cartridge? I believe there was once a physical device out there to do such a thing and I believe this can also can be performed via special tracks on Test LP's.

Is this something worth looking into further if one owns an MC cartridge...?

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Re: Demagnetizing MC Cartridges...?

Postby WntrMute » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Personally, I wouldn't fuck with anything that claims to damagnitize a cartridge. There are magnets in all types of cartridges. The tracks that claim to do that seem harmless to me. That said, I am not a physicist, scientist or similar. I just think I am a common sense kind of guy. Contact the cart manufacturer for the definitive answer if you can.
WntrMute

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:11 pm

This is what A.J. van den Hul has to say about it:

A: NEVER demagnetize a M.M. cartridge with the replaceable stylus still inserted. It will ruin the mini-magnet at the end of the cantilever in its magnetic power. With the stylus insert removed you can consider it, but first read the rest of this answer:
From a more theoretical point of view, I think it is not wise to demagnetize. It is a short term effect with more negative side effects on the long-term. Your first experience will be very positive as also was mine. But after 2 record sides you have to do this again and it never stops. So you have become a serious victim. And keep in mind: the original cartridge magnet already puts the tiny armature in such a strong magnetic field that its magnetization is unavoidable, so why should you demagnetize? Also, since the magnet never is perfectly at center position but always has some offset, the mu-metal made centre of the coil system always holds residual magnetism and can’t become demagnetized. And if this is not enough: The current through the 20 micron thin coil wire is so small that there is no chance to build up any serious magnetic field to cancel the existing residual magnetism. What it only does is breaking down the magnetic domain boundaries in the mu-metal. This improves the magnetic resolution of the music. But after a short while these boundaries will be there again and the number of atoms per magnetic domain has only got bigger. So the magnetic resolution is worsening instead of getting better. So from the point of view: “I bought the thing and now I will use it”, you have to use it. The only advantage is that some crystal boundaries inside the coil wires are welded. But as soon as you move the armature by playing your records that effect is over again. So save the money and buy some good records.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby VinBob » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback and advice guys - I was curious as I came across such a device by Sumiko but will leave it well alone! - I guess there is a reason why they no longer make them and one would think the cartridge manufacturer would promote demagnetizing if it was beneficial...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Bill Stevenson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Demagnetizing a moving coil cartridge once in a while is hardly controversial. There are several ways to do it. I have an Aesthetix ABCD-1 Demagnetizer that works just fine. I use mine about every 50 hours or so. It takes maybe a minute or less to do. As has already been pointed out, these are for MC cartridges, DO NOT demag a MM cartridge. Back in the day (I am an old fart) I used to demag the heads on my tape decks too, and consider this to be routine maintenance.
Bill Stevenson

Postby JimTimP » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 pm

Comparing demagnetizing tape heads, which do NOT need intrinsic magnetism to function (just the opposite) to a cartridge for a turn table is like comparing Kim Jong Un to Gandi!

You remove (demagnetize) tape heads residual magnetism created by the coils and the tapes movement over your heads. If you do not, that magnetism builds in strength and begins to effect the sound quality of the tape by essentially erasing the tape. Yes, tape heads function with magnetism to induce the signal into or read it from the magnetic tape. But the heads should not have any residual magnetism!

If you remove the magnetism from any type of turn table cartridge, you will render it inefficient or ineffective. It needs magnetism to function! Does not matter, moving coil, moving iron or moving magnet. Reduce that magnetism, reduce the flux lines induced into the coil, reduce the output of the cartridge. It's a law of physics!

Those demagnetizers are pure snake oil. Muffler bearings. Headlight Fluid.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby jonathanb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:01 pm

VinBob wrote:Thanks for the feedback and advice guys - I was curious as I came across such a device by Sumiko but will leave it well alone! - I guess there is a reason why they no longer make them and one would think the cartridge manufacturer would promote demagnetizing if it was beneficial...

Cheers,
Vin.

Funny, I just dug out my Fluxbuster from a box of old accessories! It always worked well on my (MC) cartridges.
Attachments
Scan Nov 14, 2017, 9.51 PM.jpg
Scan Nov 14, 2017, 9.51 PM.jpg (67.14 KiB) Viewed 185 times
jonathanb

Postby JimTimP » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:39 pm

OK, let's see if we can understand it this way.

Copper (what the coils of the vast majority of cartridge coils is made of) cannot be magnetized. It will not hold a magnetic field if not charged. So, if you think 'demagentizing' your MC cartridge works, then the coils are made of a ferrous metal and not copper. Otherwise you disturb the forces of the universe and someone is gonna get major league preturbed.

And I'm not about to preturb Magneto.... :)

Please look for yourselves and see I'm not wrong. Cartridge demagnetizers will either destroy your cartridge if it really demagnetizes it, or its hogwash. Fritzer Valves. Retro Encabulators.

And if you bought one of those, can I offer you a bridge in Brooklyn I have for sale?

download/file.php?mode=view&id=3171
Attachments
dvdrewinder.jpg
dvdrewinder.jpg (23.92 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Last edited by JimTimP on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Dorian » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:42 pm

jonathanb wrote:Funny, I just dug out my Fluxbuster from a box of old accessories! It always worked well on my (MC) cartridges.

Ah, the vaunted FB-1! The FB-2 was always overshadowed by its greatness.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Stringreen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:50 am

Some manufacturers recommend the Fluxbuster...some don't. The problem is that a current is excited in the coils... some of which are thinner than the human hair, and can easily burn. Check with your cartridge manufacturer. My Fluxbuster resides in a drawer along with various turntable mats, anti resonance cones, pucks, etc.
Stringreen

Next

Return to General Audio