Demagnetizing MC Cartridges...?

Re: Demagnetizing MC Cartridges...?

Postby Brf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:52 am

The theory of MC cartridge coil demagnetizing and the actually application does not make sense to me. My cartridge coils are made from PCOCC copper which are immune to magnetization, therefore, why would they need demagnetization??
Brf
Site Admin

Postby babybird » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:23 pm

Perhaps its static charge build up from the cartridge running in the groove of plastic? Wild guess on my part.
babybird

Postby Bill Stevenson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:12 pm

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Aesthetix-AB ... ESMCDEMAG/

There is quite a bit of discussion and info on the web. For those who have commented on copper, it is the iron core that gets magnetized over time. The results vary, and depend on the manufacturer and material of construction of specific cartridges.
Bill Stevenson

Postby JimTimP » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:21 pm

Read that and it talks about the "...moving coil absorbs some of the magnet’s charge..." which violate the lawsof physics and material properties.

So, unless someone can explain - conclusively - how the magnetism get's into the coils and remains there and these products remove it, I'm going for the left handed bumper wrench product. But nothing I've read, especially in advertising writeups, comes close to saying what and how they work. Same with 'Demag' tracks on test records.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Bill Stevenson » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:43 pm

I have been demagnetizing MC cartridges for decades so the skepticism expressed herein has me nonplussed. In my experience the results of demagnetizing vary from very slight, to dramatic. This apparently is a function of the design of any given cartridge and the materials of construction used. I think the core material in particular has a great deal to do with the outcome. It cannot hurt anything to demagnetize a MC cartridge. It might not make a lot of difference for any specific cartridge, but how would you know if you don't try it? Or, perhaps ask the manufacturer of your cartridge for a recommendation? Or you can just glide along in uncertainty, being reassured that you are in good company from this discussion. There is even a way to demag at no cost at all that can be found on YouTube.
Bill Stevenson

Ortofon on Demagnetizing

Postby Bill Stevenson » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:41 pm

I wrote Ortofon customer service and here is their reply:

Dear Bill,

We do not recommend demagnetize the cartridges. It is a short term effect with more negative side effects on the long-term. Your first experience will be very positive, but after 2 record sides you have to do this again and it never stops.

I hope this covers your question.

Best regards / Venlig hilsen

Anders Bentley
Bill Stevenson

Previous

Return to General Audio