Speed controller= sonic improvement?

Speed controller= sonic improvement?

Postby Jprod » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 pm

I read the thread about the ADS in its entirety and I must say it was quite entertaining. However , after reading all 27 pages, precious little was said about any perceived sonic improvements. For those of you that do use one , do you perceive an improvement in sound quality ?
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Graham slee accession phono amp, parasound p5 preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Re: Speed controller= sonic improvement?

Postby tom collins » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:17 am

i bought an sds to use originally on a nottingham ace space deck. now using one on a tnt rim drive. with rim drive there is no choice, you have to use a controller so i can't say about differences on the current machine. but, my nottingham improved in two ways. first, the motor was smoother and quieter. second, the speed was able to be precisely dialed in, but it was very close before. third, everything just became more solid and stable sounding. a very good investment and i would not be without one today.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby JimTimP » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:42 am

I added one to my Prime Signature. Not so much to control the accuracy of the speed, it was pretty spot on with out it. But I do have a fair number of 45 RPM LPs in my stacks. It's a lot easier to push a button to change speed than move a belt. I also replaced the pulley with the HRX version.

That said, I did not notice any sonic improvements. I also did not expect any.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Yaqin MC-100B Amp, SD-32A CD, ProJect DS2 Pre, VPI Prime Sig W/Soundsmith Voice/Lyra Delos on 2 Arms, ADS, Periphery Clamp. Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Teac 2A Mixer and MB-20 Bridge, Nobsound Phone Amp,
JimTimP

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 am

My Eagle PSU and Tach definitely delivered an improvement, in that the speed is always accurate and stable so pitch is always dead on. I can definitely hear when the speed/stability is off and it bugs me.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby husafreak » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:53 pm

This was my experience posted earlier in another thread:

Next up is the SDS system, I would have loved to go for it but I decided that with my 5W 600 rpm Scout motor the Phoenix Falcon PSU sans tachometer was a reasonable way to get the sonic benefit I was after. I discussed the product with Bill at Phoenix Engineering and noted that the speed stabilization of the Falcon is ±0.005 RPM with or without the Roadrunner tach. So the tach becomes a nice thing to have but not absolutely necessary. It is the speed stabilization I am after, not a dead accurate rpm. In any event I used the Turntabulator iPhone App to dial in the PSU rpm. The sonic benefit of the PSU was also not subtle. But it seemed to help the higher frequency range the most. Micro details, reverb, and hall qualities really jumped out. Sounds like a breath, string squeak, or chair creek became more recognizable and defined, as well as the instruments being played of course. So the PSU really breathed some life into my vinyl playback system. I felt that I was getting a real reference quality of sound reproduction now.

I read various positive reviews of PSU's and I believe that most hear an obvious improvement.
Note that Phoenix Engineering is out of business, Bill having retired.
And simply pressing a button to switch to 45 rpm is very convenient.
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Return to General Audio