Headshell alignment

Headshell alignment

Postby muel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:09 am

headshell.JPG
Photo seems to have gotten cut off.
headshell.JPG (126.15 KiB) Viewed 289 times
I saw this little gadget advertised on Face Book the other day and was wondering if anyone has ever seen or used it and if it's worth the $49 investment?
Photo seems to have gotten cut off.
Jolida JD1000P
Prime #391
BAT VK51SE Preamp
EAR 834P
Unison Research Unico CD
JM Lab ALCOR
Phoenix Eagle PSU/RR tach
Nakamachi 581z
Magnum Dynalab FT101
Symposium Ultra shelf & Rollerballs
Lyra Delos & Ortofon Quintet Mono
Purist Audio MIT
muel

Re: Headshell alignment

Postby Brf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:32 am

If you search the forum for "Millennium Block" you will get a lot of additional information
Brf
Site Admin

Postby muel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:36 am

Brf wrote:If you search the forum for "Millennium Block" you will get a lot of additional information

Thanks!
Jolida JD1000P
Prime #391
BAT VK51SE Preamp
EAR 834P
Unison Research Unico CD
JM Lab ALCOR
Phoenix Eagle PSU/RR tach
Nakamachi 581z
Magnum Dynalab FT101
Symposium Ultra shelf & Rollerballs
Lyra Delos & Ortofon Quintet Mono
Purist Audio MIT
muel

Postby Dorian » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pm

I got one recently and like it.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Stringreen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:24 am

..just wondering what you're trying to do... If you're trying to dial in azimuth, this won't work. The sylus has to be perpendicular to the groove..this will not do. Get a Fozgometer and its accompanying test record.
Stringreen

Postby JimTimP » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Get an oscilloscope. It's better than a Fozgometer every day of the week.... Coupled with an AC Millivolt meter, it's the bomb!!! See the crosstalk and phase angles on the 'scope. Read the DB right off the meter. Can't get easier.

Ok, Ok, Ok. I'm joking to make a point.

Get what your budget and skills allow. Will a Foz help you set Azimuth more precisely over the OP's device? It better at 6 times the price. Dr. Feickert's Adjust+ is another step up the ladder. And the ladder has more rungs with them added all the time.

So, will this Acrylic Block help you get a closer Azimuth setting than the straw on the headshell? Yup. Will you be able to dial in the remaining amount to get great sound? Yup!

Will it be as accurate as an O-Scope and millivolt meter? Nope. But, at least for me, I'd be hard pressed to hear the difference.

Jim - trying to restore sanity to Audiophilia...

FWIW, I own several O-Scopes, several VNAs (Vector Network Analyzers), Time Division Multiplexers, Spectrum Analyzers, Volt and Millivolt meters, etc. I don't use them to align my Azimuth, VTF, VTA, SRA, PDA, PDF, EIEIO... I get it close, and use those finely calibrated devices which assure the music sounds great to me. My ears.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Yaqin MC-100B Amp, SD-32A CD, ProJect DS2 Pre, VPI Prime Sig W/Soundsmith Voice/Lyra Delos on 2 Arms, ADS, Periphery Clamp. Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Teac 2A Mixer and MB-20 Bridge, Nobsound Phone Amp,
JimTimP

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:08 pm

JimTimP wrote:

FWIW, I own several O-Scopes, several VNAs (Vector Network Analyzers), Time Division Multiplexers, Spectrum Analyzers, Volt and Millivolt meters, etc. I don't use them to align my Azimuth, VTF, VTA, SRA, PDA, PDF, EIEIO... I get it close, and use those finely calibrated devices which assure the music sounds great to me. My ears.

Oh Bearded Bard of Boredom, I've been looking for a good millivolt meter but can't find one. Can you recommend one?
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby JimTimP » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:39 pm

I use the single channel version of this, but at times wish I did splurge for the dual channel:

http://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/produ ... B_GVT-417B

Available here:

http://www.tequipment.net/InstekGVT417B ... swod2zkMMQ
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Yaqin MC-100B Amp, SD-32A CD, ProJect DS2 Pre, VPI Prime Sig W/Soundsmith Voice/Lyra Delos on 2 Arms, ADS, Periphery Clamp. Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Teac 2A Mixer and MB-20 Bridge, Nobsound Phone Amp,
JimTimP

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Here is essentially the exact same thing for 19.99....I use this as the first step in tonearm / cartridge setup followed by a MintLP alignment and then following that with Feickert Adjust+...All double and triple checked along the way... :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tonearm-VTA-Car ... 2749.l2649
Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI HRX Reference (MagDrive/RimDrive), 12" 3DR tonearms, Miyajima Kansui & ZERO, VPI ADS, Vendetta SCP-1
Letsmakeadeal

Return to General Audio