Headshell alignment

Re: Headshell alignment

Postby tony22 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:44 am

JimTimP wrote:Get an oscilloscope. It's better than a Fozgometer every day of the week.... Coupled with an AC Millivolt meter, it's the bomb!!! See the crosstalk and phase angles on the 'scope. Read the DB right off the meter. Can't get easier.

@JimTimP, I actually have a Tek dual channel and a Fluke with mV range. I use this stuff for electronics assembly. I know it can be used for what you describe, but is it possible you could provide a step by step for how to do it?
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio PWT & DS, HW's Classic 3 with 300RPM / 3D / HRX feet, Benz SL and L2 carts, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby husafreak » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:33 pm

The beauty of a millennium block is you can sight through it’s grid lines and make your basic set up adjustments on the cartridge body or stylus itself. Not on the arm or the head shell.
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby JimTimP » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:29 am

tony22 wrote:
JimTimP wrote:Get an oscilloscope. It's better than a Fozgometer every day of the week.... Coupled with an AC Millivolt meter, it's the bomb!!! See the crosstalk and phase angles on the 'scope. Read the DB right off the meter. Can't get easier.

@JimTimP, I actually have a Tek dual channel and a Fluke with mV range. I use this stuff for electronics assembly. I know it can be used for what you describe, but is it possible you could provide a step by step for how to do it?

I do not have specifics to do this, and made the comment tongue in cheek as a response to everyone saying "Use this", etc. However, it can be very easily done.

You would set up the A and B channels of the scope the same. Tie them to the left and right output from the cartridge. Set up to display the test tone you'll be using from a test record (typically 1kHz). Run the 1st channel and note the voltage and phase. Run the second channel and again, note phase and voltage. Also, while running one channel note the second channel and the level of the crosstalk (signal strength of the opposite channel signal). You want to adjust your signal strength, phase and cross talk to the same from each channel (a digital storage scope makes this much easier). If you can overlay the signals when a track playing a test tone to both channels simultaneously to verify strength/phase of them will be helpful. Do not add them, but on your older scope the function may be called 'Chop' them.

Once you get it all set to as close to the same as your system allows (don't expect it to be perfect), you're done.

I have used a true AC Millivolt meter to measure the channel output voltage and adjust to as close as possible, even going as far as to measure the voltage from the 'off' channel (crosstalk). To be very honest, Feickert software does the same using Fast Fournier Transforms must simpler. But these are the tools that allow you to get the very closest settings based on the geometry of the test record and your cartridge.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Previous

Return to General Audio