question about tables w/ standalone motors- prime scout

question about tables w/ standalone motors- prime scout

Postby avanti1960 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:46 pm

just a general question about tables with a standalone motor housing- e.g. prime scout.
how do you precisely locate the motor for proper belt tension?
is it easy to move the position when you use the on off switch?

just seems like a less than ideal situation and a somewhat inelegant, compromising user interface. comments welsome.
avanti1960

Re: question about tables w/ standalone motors- prime scout

Postby MMMC » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:53 am

avanti1960 wrote:just a general question about tables with a standalone motor housing- e.g. prime scout.
how do you precisely locate the motor for proper belt tension?
is it easy to move the position when you use the on off switch?

just seems like a less than ideal situation and a somewhat inelegant, compromising user interface. comments welsome.

avanti1960,

I am responding as a former original Scout owner, not a current Prime Scout owner. Unfortunately, the very old "original" Scout is pictured and referred to in the Scout owners manual, instead of your table as shown here. Image

My recommendation is to center and locate the motor as close as possible with the above photo. In lieu of an exact dimension for motor location, the belt should only have sufficiently tension to not have slack, AND remain in place on the platter when not in operation. The combination of the motors rubber feet, and the mass of the motor, should keep it in place because the on/off button only requires a soft touch. VPI needs to update the manual. I hope this description helps you.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 am

How far should the fat part of the pulley be away from the platter?
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby Gary1955 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:25 am

Adjust the motor distance so the platter stops turning within 1 to 1.5 turns after the power is turned off.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby avanti1960 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:53 pm

That's what I was afraid of. Being a mechanical engineer by profession and a neurotic audiophile by choice I find it disconcerting that the center to center distance of the pulley drive system is not specified and controlled.
I would have designed a light gauge plastic bracket that would capture the motor housing and span the gap between each leg (for example) and be located to the legs of the plinth by some small diameter nubs or grommets to decouple any vibration transmission. Some kind of light isolated mechanical index.
avanti1960

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 pm

avanti1960 wrote:I would have designed a light gauge plastic bracket that would capture the motor housing and span the gap between each leg (for example) and be located to the legs of the plinth by some small diameter nubs or grommets to decouple any vibration transmission. Some kind of light isolated mechanical index.

Even my el cheapo Music Hall MMF9.1 turntable had a plastic gizmo that set the distance between the motor and the plinth. It's not rocket science.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby Gary1955 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:11 pm

I made a feeler gauge out of a carpenters pencil from Home Depot with some electrical tape wrapped around when I found correct distance- works well! I do wish that VPI would provide their own feeler or distance gauge for setting the SAMA motor distance gap to the plinth.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Return to General Audio