Dr. Feikert Adjust Plus purchase

Re: Dr. Feikert Adjust Plus purchase

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Not much of a computer geek if he can't handle this job! Do you live anywhere near me? I'll do it for you.

I guess you could go down that route, I have no idea what an appropriate machine would cost. The Adjust Plus website says that "...Adjust+ works on all dual-core PCs running at least Microsoft Windows® XP SP3, appropriate sound card necessary".
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby TomD » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:10 pm

I run Adjust+ on a very old laptop running Windows XP with no problem. It is a tiny program and doesn't require much resource. Works great.
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby VinBob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:30 pm

I may have a play with this one of these days as the ultimate Azimuth setup challenge! - I too have a Mac but also own a copy of Fusion and Windows 7, so I can perfectly run this on my music media machine to perform the setup. Unfortunately, I will have to invest in the additional Creative Labs audio thingy recommended by Dr. Feickert, as the audio from the PC/MAC is insufficient from everything I have read.

I know this tool can be quite daunting to use and takes quite some time to go through the setup process. I also remember reading somewhere that its best to not use the bubble level on the headshell as that plays into things. Is it OK to use without the bubble level and can someone point me to where I can find a copy of the user guide, as I would like to go through that to get more familiar with the tool before investing later in the year?

For now, I am sticking with the Fozgometer - it seems to be working fairly well for me now that I have made the proper adjustments via the counterweight and using the anti-skating when adjusting via the Fozgometer...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby madrac » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:52 am

jmcox wrote:This really looks like a great approach to adjusting azimuth, and I really wish I could get there with my hardware. Johathanb and Dorian I know I'll get eyerolls from you guys as you're obviously comfortable and successful in adapting your Mac machines, but its over my head . . . and, more importantly to me the computer geek that worked on my Mac desktop and laptop in the past really was discouraging in my texts with him. This may sound crazy, but maybe not . . .I wonder if it might be possible to acquire a really inexpensive older laptop or even tablet (?) that runs native pc software that would work? It could be worth it to me if its relatively cheap as I really would like to use this system. I would need to go to the website and see what the oldest operating systems are that interface with the Adjust Plus software and see if a PC machine can be purchased with that old operating system cheaply . . . . ?

Try Microcenter -- they usually have refurbished or even budget laptops.. I picked up a new one for my wife to surf the internet earlier this year - I think it was about 240 out the door. New with Windows 10.
madrac

Postby jmcox » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Do you guys who use Adjust Plus recommend the "Home" or "Pro" version of their software?
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova .25 LO, Paradox Pulse 103R/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/VPI 299D/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables
jmcox

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:40 pm

jmcox wrote:Do you guys who use Adjust Plus recommend the "Home" or "Pro" version of their software?

Home
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby VinBob » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:23 pm

Dorian wrote:
jmcox wrote:Do you guys who use Adjust Plus recommend the "Home" or "Pro" version of their software?

Home

Just to add, the good Dr. Feickert confirmed the following features with the home edition as I had reached out to him about this:

"wow&flutter/speed calibration, frequency response, low resonant frequency and azimuth..."

Should be enough for most needs and certainly for Azimuth - Again, I am getting pretty decent results with my Foz at the moment and I am pretty happy with how things sound, but I will start to slowly save up for this as I am intrigued by this tool and the positive feedback from everyone that owns this. Don't forget to add the cost of an external sound card to be able to use this to the cost of the Adjust Plus home software - you are looking at around $370-$380.

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby jmcox » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Looks like there are some really cheap deals on PC laptops out there (as low as $150 with Windows 10) so not out of reason to me to pick up a cheap PC laptop for this diagnostic tool. I'm wondering if it's a given that an external sound card is additionally needed if I go with a PC - Chris Feickert mentioned in an email to me to "check to see if the audio chipset allows for 96/24 sampling" . . . seemingly implying to me that an internal provided audio chip in a PC might be sufficient. (As opposed to the additional expense of the external sound card). I note Vin and Dorian thoughts on Home edition being sufficient, so total cost (assuming internally provided sound card "allows for 96/24 sampling" and also per Chris that the "computer's 3.5mm jack supports stereo recording") cost might be all in with PC laptop about $440. Not beyond the threshold of pain if really effective . . . .
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova .25 LO, Paradox Pulse 103R/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/VPI 299D/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables
jmcox

Postby VinBob » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:25 pm

jmcox wrote:Looks like there are some really cheap deals on PC laptops out there (as low as $150 with Windows 10) so not out of reason to me to pick up a cheap PC laptop for this diagnostic tool. I'm wondering if it's a given that an external sound card is additionally needed if I go with a PC - Chris Feickert mentioned in an email to me to "check to see if the audio chipset allows for 96/24 sampling" . . . seemingly implying to me that an internal provided audio chip in a PC might be sufficient. (As opposed to the additional expense of the external sound card). I note Vin and Dorian thoughts on Home edition being sufficient, so total cost (assuming internally provided sound card "allows for 96/24 sampling" and also per Chris that the "computer's 3.5mm jack supports stereo recording") cost might be all in with PC laptop about $440. Not beyond the threshold of pain if really effective . . . .

Hmmm... that's interesting. I know my Mac Mini can handle 24/96 for audio playback through Audirvana so I am guessing I may be good to go. Anyone else using a Mac Mini with Fusion or Parallels without an external sound card?

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Vin - That's audio out, not audio in (may or may not be the same, IDK). The bigger issue though is the virtualization software correctly passing the signal to windows. I tried it on my Macbook Pro Mid-2009 and it didn't work, so I went ahead and ordered the Sound Blaster USB card and that worked properly. Only $69. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEDCA/re ... SzbYP4VDYH

OP is planning on using a Windows machine though, so the Mac capabilities are a moot point for him.
Dorian

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio