Dr. Feikert Adjust Plus purchase

Dr. Feikert Adjust Plus purchase

Postby jmcox » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:12 pm

I've been using a Fozgometer for cartridge azimuth adjusting (multiple cartridges) . . . with some mixed results on the lower output one in particular. I think it may be that its output is just not sufficient to drive the meter high enough to quantify the variations. . . .Maybe. . . . So, I'm wondering about trying the Feikert Adjust Plus software as I've read multiple positive comments about this approach. Is it the general opinion that this is a better approach (especially with lower output cartridges)? Also, assuming the comments are positive, I just don't see the software for sale anywhere. Where can it be purchased? Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova .25 LO, Paradox Pulse 103R/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/VPI 299D/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables
jmcox

Re: Dr. Feikert Adjust Plus purchase

Postby VinBob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:56 pm

Did you try taking the readings from your SUT or Chinook? That may yield better results with the Fozgometer given the low output cartridge you have.

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby jmcox » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:43 pm

Vin Bob, I thought of that but am not sure if the signal passes through either the SUT or phono pre it would still display the same proportionality of signal to give an accurate reading relative to balance. Thinking about it it does seem like the SUT in particular would be totally passive, and might indeed give me a more magnified and easier to evaluate reading . . . .??

But, even at its best I'm wondering if the Adjust Plus is a better tool . . . . .??
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova .25 LO, Paradox Pulse 103R/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/VPI 299D/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables
jmcox

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:58 pm

IMO, having used both, the Adjust+ is far superior. It delivers consistent, repeatable and excellent results. The Foz needle jumped around too much for my taste and was too difficult to dial azimuth in precisely. Buy the Adjust+ package (software, hardware and test record) directly from the doctor here: http://www.feickert.org/index.php?id=12&L=1

Having said that, from memory I think you are meant to plug the Foz into the phono preamp outs, aren't you? If yes, that would address your concerns with your low output cart.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby jmcox » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:15 am

Dorian, some similar observations here about the Foz, just didn't come away with confidence, and consistency (needle bouncing around also). I did try straight from carts, sometimes via the phono pre, and just this evening through my SUT. I've read a couple other comments similar to yours that make me want to try the Adjust +. BUT, I just thought of a potential problem, my laptop is a Mac, the the website talks about utilizing a PC. Does the software work with a Mac?
jmcox

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:03 am

I run it on my Mac in a Windows 7 VM no problem, using Parallels Desktop virtualization software. Only point to note is that you MUST use an external USB sound card, not the Mac's line-in port. I use this one, which is the one the Doctor recommends:

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Audio System with SBX SB1095 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEDCA/re ... SzbYP4VDYH
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby jmcox » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:37 am

Hey, thanks Dorian, HUGE help. To clarify I do have Microsoft Office 11 for Mac on my laptop - will that give the proper interface ? Checking the Feikert website, looks like I have to go through a dealer and can't get it direct (?) I'd call but didn't see a phone number for them last night. Wish I could deal with Feikert direct, as I'd like to dialog directly with them and not have to deal with someone who may or may not fully understand the process.
jmcox

Postby jonathanb » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 am

There's no dealer from whom to acquire the Adjust+ software. You have to email Feickert directly and they'll walk you through the purchase.

You need either to use Apple's Bootcamp app to create a new partition of your hard drive on which you install Windows or you have to install software such as Parallels Desktop in order to create Windows as a virtual machine in OS X.
jonathanb

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:17 am

To echo what Jonathan said, you need to actually install the Windows operating system on your Mac - either in Boot Camp or a VM. Nothing do to with MS Office. If this is greek to you, then you will need IT help with this. You'll also need to buy (or borrow) Windows.

To buy the Adjust+ package, email the good doctor here: order@adjustplus.de

See my post here for an example of the results - excellent!
Dorian

Postby jmcox » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:28 am

This really looks like a great approach to adjusting azimuth, and I really wish I could get there with my hardware. Johathanb and Dorian I know I'll get eyerolls from you guys as you're obviously comfortable and successful in adapting your Mac machines, but its over my head . . . and, more importantly to me the computer geek that worked on my Mac desktop and laptop in the past really was discouraging in my texts with him. This may sound crazy, but maybe not . . .I wonder if it might be possible to acquire a really inexpensive older laptop or even tablet (?) that runs native pc software that would work? It could be worth it to me if its relatively cheap as I really would like to use this system. I would need to go to the website and see what the oldest operating systems are that interface with the Adjust Plus software and see if a PC machine can be purchased with that old operating system cheaply . . . . ?
jmcox

Next

Return to General Audio