Dr. Feikert Adjust Plus purchase

Re: Dr. Feikert Adjust Plus purchase

Postby Dorian » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:00 pm

jmcox wrote:Dorian, did you connect from your Parasound phono pre to the sound card?

Hey JM, did you get a chance to try this yet? How did you do?
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby JimTimP » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Dorian,

Not sure about JM, but I also have and use a Parasound Zphono MM/MC Phono Preamplifier with USB I use with the Feickert software.

http://www.parasound.com/vintage/zphonoUSB.php

Did you want to know something specific? FWIW, it is how I interface my cartridges to the PC for the Feickert software. Work great. I also use it to connect the TT so I can record to disk for PC playback of Vinyl or RIP to CD.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Dorian » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:31 pm

No thanks Jim I'm all good. I was just curious if the OP had actually tried using Adjust+ yet. I swear by it.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby JimTimP » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Dorian wrote:No thanks Jim I'm all good. I was just curious if the OP had actually tried using Adjust+ yet. I swear by it.

Gotcha. Yup. Me as well. I looked at the 'fuzzy meter'. With Fast Fournier Transforms going on in the PC (read: Lotsa math) the Feickert is great. And Kris Feickert will answer E-Mails, make recommendations and just plain ole shoot the 'scheizer' with you. Well, he did with me. I practiced my German, and he his English. Great guy!
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Bloodflame666 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:57 am

I’m using a prime signature table so do I need a counter intuitive to utilize the adjust it properly?
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby Dorian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:13 am

Bloodflame666 wrote:I’m using a prime signature table so do I need a counter intuitive to utilize the adjust it properly?

I would say yes, unless you have a dual pivot (I don’t). Apparently the DP negates the need for the CI (I can’t remember why).
Dorian

Postby JimTimP » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:15 pm

Dorian, et al,

The DP does and does not necessariy eliminate the CI. The Ci is dual purpose, Fine adjustment of VTF and Azimuth. Since the DP makes Azimuth more or less fixed, then it negated this function. But the ability to fine tune VTF on an arm what does not use a threaded weight is helpful. YMMV.

However (love the word However); the DP also needs to be loaded to some measure. No one to date has defined that, nor come up with a way to measure it. So, the CI can still be used in this capacity. Personally, I use the side weights to load the DP. But you don't have to.

I adjust the outboard side weight until I get 'lift off' of the DP point from the slider. Then I turn the outboard weight in one full turn, thereby loading the DP point.

Now, here's the kicker, I do still get some rocking (whcih tells me I'm not overlading the DP pivot), but it's very minor and dampens out quick. I still need zero AS on my SoundSmith, and the absolute minimum for the Delos cartridges.
JimTimP

Postby Brf » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:14 pm

JimTimP wrote:Dorian, et al,

However (love the word However); the DP also needs to be loaded to some measure. No one to date has defined that, nor come up with a way to measure it. So, the CI can still be used in this capacity. Personally, I use the side weights to load the DP. But you don't have to..

With my cartridge which I track at 2.00 grams, I found that dual pivot load of 2.0 grams to be optimal. Anything under a 1.50 gram load caused bearing chatter when using a silent groove test. With a dual pivot load of 2.0 grams, I get rock solid bass and I retain the unrestricted high end extension associated with an uncontrained uni-pivot. At 2.75 grams plus, you can definitely start to hear a slight compression of dynamics and high end extension.

I have spend quite a bit of time now with the dual pivot, and I absolutely love it and I feel that I now have it soooo dialed in that I no longer give it a second thought.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Bloodflame666 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Brf wrote:
JimTimP wrote:Dorian, et al,

However (love the word However); the DP also needs to be loaded to some measure. No one to date has defined that, nor come up with a way to measure it. So, the CI can still be used in this capacity. Personally, I use the side weights to load the DP. But you don't have to..

With my cartridge which I track at 2.00 grams, I found that dual pivot load of 2.0 grams to be optimal. Anything under a 1.50 gram load caused bearing chatter when using a silent groove test. With a dual pivot load of 2.0 grams, I get rock solid bass and I retain the unrestricted high end extension associated with an uncontrained uni-pivot. At 2.75 grams plus, you can definitely start to hear a slight compression of dynamics and high end extension.

I have spend quite a bit of time now with the dual pivot, and I absolutely love it and I feel that I now have it soooo dialed in that I no longer give it a second thought.

What cartridge?
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby jonathanb » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:41 pm

Brf wrote:I found that dual pivot load of 2.00 grams to be optimal. Anything under a 1.50 gram load caused bearing chatter when using a silent groove test. With a dual pivot load of 2.00 grams, I get rock solid bass and I retain the unrestricted high end extension associated with an uncontrained uni-pivot.

How do you measure dual pivot loading?
jonathanb

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio