Dr. Feikert Adjust Plus purchase

Re: Dr. Feikert Adjust Plus purchase

Postby Jazzgene » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:27 pm

I have been an early user of the adjust + pro. And it really is a useful tool. But you have to remember we are in the analog domain.

Achieving the “perfect” azimuth readout on the supplied test record means just that. That it is set correct for that specific test recorded track. I tested on a bunch of different test records and they all show different results from one to another. Actually, I had 2 copies of the Feickert test LP and the results were different.

So you can imagine what the reality is with music LPs that probably had less rigorous quality control than a test record.

In the end, I have to agree with John Grado who told me to never use a test record to set up a cartridge.

Just my two cents on the subject of azimuth. Although a different medium, I fully understand why Nakamichi created the Dragon tape deck that automatically shifts the playback head to the cassette itself. Although in the cassette deck realm, azimuth error will have a far larger negative impact on the audio quality than on the LP.
Jazzgene

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Jazzgene wrote:I have been an early user of the adjust + pro. And it really is a useful tool. But you have to remember we are in the analog domain.

Achieving the “perfect” azimuth readout on the supplied test record means just that. That it is set correct for that specific test recorded track. I tested on a bunch of different test records and they all show different results from one to another. Actually, I had 2 copies of the Feickert test LP and the results were different.

So you can imagine what the reality is with music LPs that probably had less rigorous quality control than a test record.

In the end, I have to agree with John Grado who told me to never use a test record to set up a cartridge.

Just my two cents on the subject of azimuth. Although a different medium, I fully understand why Nakamichi created the Dragon tape deck that automatically shifts the playback head to the cassette itself. Although in the cassette deck realm, azimuth error will have a far larger negative impact on the audio quality than on the LP.

How much variance do you see between the various test LPs and how much variance is relevant? Nothing about any of this is absolute.....So are you no longer using the software? :?:
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Jazzgene » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:33 pm

Variance was pretty large giving consideration to what is being measured. There was a really noticeable difference in the measurement with and without the peripheral ring as well. (Which I like and use).

I still use the software to check the speed of my table and w/f. Also, tonearm resonance as well.

I think the software is very useful for setting up the azimuth initially with a quality test record. Then either just live with that or fine adjust by ear as you hear fit. Sort of like VTA.
Jazzgene

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:57 pm

Like all the fine tuning variables with our cartridges, I think using the best tools gets you into a place where 90-95% of the time the cartridge is performing optimally. Without the tools though, setup can be a crapshoot and you many never be in a optimal range of performance. Example SRA: My eyeball set up the first time I used the microscope for SRA was at about 90 degrees. Sounded damn good...Raised it a little to 92 degrees and it sounds a tiny bit better, maybe. Now this setting is subject to variables such as record thickness, vtf, etc. So it won't always be exactly 92 degrees, but the variance + or - is minimized I think. That said, I have achieved some great sound at times just using the basic tools and eyeballs...But as I get older, I need the best tools to make sure things are inside the ballpark or better...
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Jazzgene » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:22 pm

Agree 100%. My Kansui looks perfectly vertical with my eyeballs after setting it up with Adjust+ so I’m good.
Jazzgene

Postby VinBob » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Hey All,

My Adjust Plus Home kit finally arrived! Yes Dorian, I now have the tool and ready to play over the holidays when I have some quiet downtime from work! :D

I was able to get Windows 7 loaded onto my Mac Mini using Bootcamp and I believe I should be good to go, although I know some people have purchased the Creative Sound-Blaster external USB device as recommended by Chris which I believe is required if one is using a Virtual machine running on Mac OS correct?

What Test Record did you guys get? I was expecting one with a red cover which I see all over the internet, but mine came in a simple white sleeve with one side listing the tracks. The USB flash drive provided is real tiny and easy to lose :shock: - Can you make a backup of this USB for safekeeping or can I assume its copy protected and we are stuck with this tiny little thing?

Anyhow, another fun project to look forward to over the Holidays together with my dual pivot!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Dorian » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:30 pm

VinBob wrote:Hey All,

My Adjust Plus Home kit finally arrived! Yes Dorian, I now have the tool and ready to play over the holidays when I have some quiet downtime from work! :D

I was able to get Windows 7 loaded onto my Mac Mini using Bootcamp and I believe I should be good to go, although I know some people have purchased the Creative Sound-Blaster external USB device as recommended by Chris which I believe is required if one is using a Virtual machine running on Mac OS correct?

What Test Record did you guys get? I was expecting one with a red cover which I see all over the internet, but mine came in a simple white sleeve with one side listing the tracks. The USB flash drive provided is real tiny and easy to lose :shock: - Can you make a backup of this USB for safekeeping or can I assume its copy protected and we are stuck with this tiny little thing?

Anyhow, another fun project to look forward to over the Holidays together with my dual pivot!

Cheers,
Vin.

About time Vin! ;)
I had problems using the Mac line-in a Windows VM; the Creative sound blaster card worked perfectly. Mine came with the same test record as yours. Have not tried to make a backup of the USB drive. Good luck!
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby VinBob » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:48 pm

I am hoping for better luck with the line-in on my Mac Mini as I am using Bootcamp and not a VM. Thanks Bud and may have to pick your brains over the holidays with this! ;)

Cheers,
V.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Dorian » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:54 pm

VinBob wrote:I am hoping for better luck with the line-in on my Mac Mini as I am using Bootcamp and not a VM. Thanks Bud and may have to pick your brains over the holidays with this! ;)

Cheers,
V.

Happy to help. It’s daunting at first but read the manual carefully and you’ll be fine.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby VinBob » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Dorian wrote:
VinBob wrote:I am hoping for better luck with the line-in on my Mac Mini as I am using Bootcamp and not a VM. Thanks Bud and may have to pick your brains over the holidays with this! ;)

Cheers,
V.

Happy to help. It’s daunting at first but read the manual carefully and you’ll be fine.

Much appreciated mate and good luck with the new phono pre testing!
VinBob

Previous

Return to General Audio