What is your favorite brush for actually scrubbing records?

What is your favorite brush for actually scrubbing records?

Postby husafreak » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Like a lot of us here I have a nice little collection of record brushes. They last forever so they add up. But my HW-16.5 is rather new to me. Since purchasing it I have been using the VPI brush (which is pretty coarse) and a Disc Doctor brush (felt pad type) in combination to wet scrub and clean my records on the RCM.
I have a variety of brushes I use to dry wipe records on the table, an old Discwasher (with the fluid bottle in the handle), a Hunt EDA carbon fiber/felt combo brush, and aa AcousTech Big Brush. Of those I like the Hunt EDA for a quick brush before every play. But if static is in play I pull out the Zerostat and use the Discwasher wet.
Anyway, mostly I would like to know what your favorite brushes are for wet cleaning records on an RCM?
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Re: What is your favorite brush for actually scrubbing recor

Postby WntrMute » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Is what I use for my wash step.Image
Then I do my two rinse steps with these. Image I cut each pad in half and discard them after one use. Completely avoids cross contamination. One can find lint free ones that have a quilted side that doesn't shed fibers at all. I'm very happy with this method but I also use my DIY fluid which works wonders.
WntrMute

Postby JimTimP » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:54 am

I have the Hunt brush for the same purpose, but for wet cleaning, I really like the Audio-Technica brush that's been around as long as the Discwasher.

s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg (4.7 KiB) Viewed 393 times

When using the 16.5, I use the Mobile Fidelity pads. One for each solution and a separate pickup tube for the final rinse (which is just distilled water)
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, JTP Cables
JimTimP

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:44 am

This is a bit off topic, but the new AudioQuest Conductive Fiber Record Brush (~$20) has uniformly been reviewed as the best dry brush ever, and a "must have". I don't yet have one, but I will. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby gene9p » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:50 am

not very good reviews on that brush..
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Gene, I don't know what you've read, but I've seen nothing but over-the-top reviews. What were the criticisms. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby husafreak » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:04 pm

Looks like the felt pad type are popular for scrubbing. I like the idea of the disposable wipes after rinse. Does that mean you don't vacuum the rinse water up? Or just wipe after vacuum?
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby macster » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 pm

gene9p wrote:not very good reviews on that brush..

I have to agree with Orchids 1 on this. I use the VPI brush (30 yrs old) for scrubbing records.

M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Postby JSTRUBE » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:34 pm

I am a pretty new VPI owner, and am building my skill set with regards to getting the most out of my records. So far, I have a Hunt EDA for dry cleaning, and am looking for a wet brush to use before vacuuming with a DIY vac cleaner.

Someone let me borrow a VPI Vac and an unknown brush, that I think was goat hair. He said it was $50, but did not identify it. Searching, I found all sorts of recommendations, from a Hobby Lobby craft Goat hair brush, to Paint pads from Home depot.

Me, I just want a brush I can scrub the grooves with wet, so then I can vac clean off the solution and hear clearer sound. I don't care what I spend within reason, but want to buy one item, not 5 to try.

What would you buy?
JSTRUBE

Postby gene9p » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Orchids1 wrote:Gene, I don't know what you've read, but I've seen nothing but over-the-top reviews. What were the criticisms. Rich

Amazon.com....bristles falling out
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Next

Return to General Audio