Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Re: Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Postby gene9p » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:50 pm

Dorian wrote:To close the loop on this, after trying after-market power cords with no effect, I've decided to return the JC3+ as I just cannot get rid of the hum. With apologies to Gene, I'm going to give Keith Herron a call and see if he thinks his VTPH-2 will be a good match for my system.

Herron's great stuff....very highly reguarded. I believe you have to change plugs to change loads...no switches to make adjustments.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Bloodflame666 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:03 pm

So did audio advisor allow you to return the jc3+ with no issues??? I’m thinking of buying this for my setup but this thread has me nervous and I don’t want to spend that kind of money on something if it won’t work out. You and I actually have the same table and cartridge. The only difference is that I have a Parasound a21 power amp and a p5 preamp to pair it with....
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby Dorian » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:46 am

Bloodflame666 wrote:So did audio advisor allow you to return the jc3+ with no issues??? I’m thinking of buying this for my setup but this thread has me nervous and I don’t want to spend that kind of money on something if it won’t work out. You and I actually have the same table and cartridge. The only difference is that I have a Parasound a21 power amp and a p5 preamp to pair it with....

Yes they did. They started the 30 days again from when I received the second unit. They were excellent to deal with. I dealt with Brian Orcutt there, he was great.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby gene9p » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:49 am

Dorian wrote:
Bloodflame666 wrote:So did audio advisor allow you to return the jc3+ with no issues??? I’m thinking of buying this for my setup but this thread has me nervous and I don’t want to spend that kind of money on something if it won’t work out. You and I actually have the same table and cartridge. The only difference is that I have a Parasound a21 power amp and a p5 preamp to pair it with....

Yes they did. They started the 30 days again from when I received the second unit. They were excellent to deal with. I dealt with Brian Orcutt there, he was great.

Brian is a good guy..so is Tim.Tim has set me up with a few nice deals over the years. He can even do better on any demo's, OB's or refurbs than the prices listed on their site.I look forward to the monthly magazine I get from them. It's nice reading about all the gear they sell without having to surf their site. Worth signing up for.
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby audiom3 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:15 pm

Fascinating thread, Dorian...and I don't mean because you're going through this frustrating task. You and I have a VERY similar situation. Wish I would have read your thread before this weekend! haha... As you know, I am getting a buzz (in both channels equally) in my Pass Labs XP-15 once the volume is a little below what I consider my reference level. I can clearly hear it between songs, on acoustic material and anything with lots of openness in the album. This weekend I ran grounds every which way (had a few grounding leads on hand) Tried each amp, the pre-amp, CDP, phono pre, Classic box and spindle in a systematic pattern. Same with the infamous cheater plug. I even ran the whole system un-grounded. Ran equipment through different, although adjacent outlets. Ran the Pass on an extension cord from the other side of the house. In my case, I have my right channel speaker inches from my TT. And as many bad things that I've read about doing this, moving it did nothing for the buzz. They are also high efficiency speakers (96dB). I *think* that could be the issue. I am almost positive it's EMF related. I've called the re-seller and even Pass Labs. They're willing to add some kind of shield to the internal transformer but I really don't think that'll do the trick. I know for a fact it's coming from the Pass. I shorted both sets of inputs and then turned it up and heard just as much buzz. I tried balanced outputs. Same audible buzz. I'm guessing some phono preamps are just more sensitive than others. My Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ is silent (well, other than typical white noise when driven hard). I'm afraid to move away from my current phono pre now (but like your old phono pre, this one is pretty damn good too). The Pass was an incremental step up...for 5x the price. But a price I would have paid for that additional ~5% improvement lol. I will be very curious to know how the Herron works out for you. Especially in terms of EMI sensitivity.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Kiseki Blue N.S.; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby Bloodflame666 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:46 pm

This scares the shit out of me because I also have a musical surroundings Phonomena II + that I love and is dead silent. Well, unless you turn it to max volume and then you get the gain hiss but it doesn’t have any hum in my system. I’m looking at moving up with a phonostage and after this thread I am afraid to do it. I’ve got Parasound sending me a b stock of the jc3+ because I told them I need to try it out before I buy it hahaha.
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Bloodflame666 wrote:This scares the shit out of me because I also have a musical surroundings Phonomena II + that I love and is dead silent.

Just curious, if you love it so much why are you kicking it to the curb?
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby Dorian » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:56 pm

Ayre Conditioned wrote:
Bloodflame666 wrote:This scares the shit out of me because I also have a musical surroundings Phonomena II + that I love and is dead silent.

Why do any of us upgrade any component? We want more!!!
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Bloodflame666 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:57 pm

Ayre Conditioned wrote:

As much as I like the Phonomena I would like to move up and try something new. I recently got my VPI table and soundsmith cartridge and I’m positive that a better phonostage will yield even better results. I’ll probably not sell or trade in the Phonomena but I wouldn’t mind moving on from it to see what else is out there. I’ve had it for a while.
Bloodflame666

Postby gene9p » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 am

I had the Phenomena II + also. Great phono stage and so many easy access settings. Quite a quality product and affordable too...but..yeah I got the bug and picked up a Chinook. I was messing with the tube phono stage in my Mac 220 and that led me to the Manley Chinook. The Musical surrounding was my first really good phono stage and I still highly recommend it. If you are not going to a tube stage, I would stay with what you have.
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio