Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Re: Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Postby Jprod » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:33 pm

Alright Dorian, I hope it settles down for you ( sounds like it will). This phono preamp is definitely on my radar since i already have a parasound p5 preamp and a parasound a21 amp. Your impressions will be a factor in my decision making since auditioning this in my area is not possible. I hate to use an online merchant for auditioning purposes.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Graham slee accession phono amp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:44 pm

Happy to keep you posted, but why not just audition one from audio advisor? At least give them a call to discuss?
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:32 pm

WELL! I went to adjust azimuth using Adjust+ tonight and found out why things weren't sounding right. I had WAY too much anti-skate applied, to the point where the cart would move quickly AWAY from the spindle on a CD or smooth area between runout groove. Seems the anti-skate device had spun around clockwise when looking down from above. The set screw appears to be threaded and it won't stay in place - will order a new one.

Anyway after I fixed that and ran Adjust+ I found that azimuth was indeed off as I suspected - see below image. The reading at 0 degrees was where I had it, which was with the headshell level using an alignment block. I ended up with the adjusted position shown at -2 degrees (not actually two degrees, only had to move it one square on the counter-intuitive). Look at the zero crosstalk and almost 33dB channel separation! Very happy with the results.

Won't have a chance to actually listen to a record until the weekend, but I'm sure it will sound dramatically better - I will report back then. It pays to double-check things!

Adjust+ Results MIMC Star 09.07.17.PNG
Adjust+ Results MIMC Star 09.07.17.PNG (117.98 KiB) Viewed 511 times
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:09 am

Had a good listening session last night. I tweaked the resistance down a little, it's probably around 450 ohm, and that removed the slight glare I was hearing in the highs. Now sounds fantastic, smooth and velvety with a ton of detail. I actually switched the old iFi iPhono back in and compared. New amp has much more detail, delicacy and clarity. Hearing greatly improved detail and what I would call 'sophistication'. Whilst the iPhono sounds good and capable and very musical, the JC3+ is heads and shoulders better in every aspect. Perhaps a good comparison is moving from driving a solid, capable, reliable car, perhaps a Honda? To driving perhaps a Mercedes. Both capabale, but one clearly better in every aspect.

Unfortunately the one thing that wasn't better is the low hum which is still there. I was listening with headphones and the hum is clearly present in the right channel only through the new preamp only. Disappeared when switching back to the old preamp. Given that its only in one channel and nothing I try gets rid of it, I'm thinking it might be a fault with the JC3+?
Dorian

Postby TomD » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Dorian,

If you haven't already, try swapping the inputs to the JC3. If the hum switches sides, it isn't the JC3.

Good luck1
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby VinBob » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:16 pm

Dorian wrote:Had a good listening session last night. I tweaked the resistance down a little, it's probably around 450 ohm, and that removed the slight glare I was hearing in the highs. Now sounds fantastic, smooth and velvety with a ton of detail. I actually switched the old iFi iPhono back in and compared. New amp has much more detail, delicacy and clarity. Hearing greatly improved detail and what I would call 'sophistication'. Whilst the iPhono sounds good and capable and very musical, the JC3+ is heads and shoulders better in every aspect. Perhaps a good comparison is moving from driving a solid, capable, reliable car, perhaps a Honda? To driving perhaps a Mercedes. Both capabale, but one clearly better in every aspect.

Unfortunately the one thing that wasn't better is the low hum which is still there. I was listening with headphones and the hum is clearly present in the right channel only through the new preamp only. Disappeared when switching back to the old preamp. Given that its only in one channel and nothing I try gets rid of it, I'm thinking it might be a fault with the JC3+?

Sorry to hear Dorian. I had a JC3+ for only a couple of weeks as I too had a hum in the left channel and decided to go with something different. I also wanted something that had a little more flexibility with the load settings and ended up with the Simaudio Moon. I still experienced some 'different' hum related issues which I was finally able to solve by moving some cables (power and interconnects) around from one another and the addition of an extra ground wire, which I attached from under my Prime to my preamp. No more noise issues and very quiet until I have the preamp volume at the 3pm mark and beyond but then, who listens at those volume levels?!

Give an additional ground wire a try as it may solve the issue...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Gregory Gale » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:34 am

I had a low level hum initially with my JC3+ and thought this was an issue with the preamp. I then put a ground wire on the back of the Classic 3 terminal block which is already set up for this and attached to the ground connection on the JC3+. The hum completely vanished. You may want to experiment with the grounding between the JC3+ and your turntable. I did not have this issue previously with my Graham Slee Reflex M however the Jc3+ blows it away from a sound quality perspective on MM and of course the Graham could not handle low output MC's which I have now.

Good luck and hopefully you find the solution but I doubt very highly this is the pre-amp.
VPI Classic 3 Rosewood
Phoenix Eagle PSU
Parasound JC3+ Phono Stage
Nordost Quattro Fil Phono Cable
Ortofon Cadenza Black MC
Ayre KX-5 Twenty Preamp
Classe CA2300 Amplifier
B&W802D3 speakers
Gregory Gale

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:38 pm

TomD wrote:Dorian,

If you haven't already, try swapping the inputs to the JC3. If the hum switches sides, it isn't the JC3.

Good luck1

Thanks for this Tom. I just tried swapping the inputs and the hum did NOT switch sides. When I swapped the outputs, it did. I called Audio Advisor and they agreed that it appears to be an issue with the JC3+, so are allowing me to do an exchange. Will report back once I have the new unit.

Having said that, apart from this low hum which is not audible when the needle is in the groove, this unit sounds spectacular. I've never heard my music sound this good. There isn't a single fault I can find, the music just sounds perfect in every way. I highly recommend it.
Dorian

Postby TomD » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:42 am

Dorian wrote:
TomD wrote:Dorian,

Good luck1

Thanks for this Tom. I just tried swapping the inputs and the hum did NOT switch sides. When I swapped the outputs, it did. I called Audio Advisor and they agreed that it appears to be an issue with the JC3+, so are allowing me to do an exchange. Will report back once I have the new unit.

Having said that, apart from this low hum which is not audible when the needle is in the groove, this unit sounds spectacular. I've never heard my music sound this good. There isn't a single fault I can find, the music just sounds perfect in every way. I highly recommend it.

That is too bad about the hum issues. Good luck with your new unit!
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:49 am

Funny thing, I tried calling Parasound tech support directly multiple times and had a hard time reaching them. When they finally answered, the guy I spoke to (Tom?) said that the hum was normal and that if I didn't like it, I should ask my retailer for a refund! Luckily Audio Advisor didn't think that it was normal and has allowed me to do an exchange, so I can at least test if it is 'normal' or not. I really hope it isn't, because the sound from this thing is spectacular.
Dorian

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio