Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Re: Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Postby gene9p » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:46 am

good guys at AA. I usually work with Tim when there is something I need or have questions about a product.
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby Dorian » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:05 pm

My only niggle with the JC3+ is a low, higher-pitched hum (definitely not hiss) at very high volume (much higher than I would ever play at) without any music playing. Might seem like nitpicking, but all the reviews I read said that it was 'dead silent'. I imagine it has something to do with the physical location of the unit itself and/or the location of the power cord relative to the signal cables (they do cross, at 90 degrees). I don't have any flexibility on where to locate the unit, unfortunately. I tried all the troubleshooting steps in the manual (except for relocating the unit), without success. I can live with it though, as I cannot hear it at normal volume even with no music playing.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Dorian on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Jprod » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Dorian wrote:My only niggle with the JC3+ is a low, higher-pitched hum (definitely not hiss) at very high volume (much higher than I could every play at) without any music playing. Might seem like nitpicking, but all the reviews I read said that it was 'dead silent'. I imagine it has something to do with the physical location of the unit itself and/or the location of the power cord relative to the signal cables (they do cross, at 90 degrees). I don't have any flexibility on where to locate the unit, unfortunately. I tried all the troubleshooting steps in the manual (except for relocating the unit), without success. I can live with it though, as I cannot heard it at normal volume even with no music playing.

Any suggestions?

Ahh the dreaded hum. Very difficult to isolate the cause. If its worse at high volume it may be EMI interference. If its a ground loop you can try to run another grounding wire from the bottom of turntable to the parasound. My old marantz tt came with 2 grounding wires (One from the bottom of the tt and one from the tonearm) at it was dead silent.
I am sure others with more experience can chime in
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Graham slee accession phono amp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Brf » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:15 pm

Dorian wrote:My only niggle with the JC3+ is a low, higher-pitched hum (definitely not hiss) at very high volume (much higher than I could every play at) without any music playing. Might seem like nitpicking, but all the reviews I read said that it was 'dead silent'. I imagine it has something to do with the physical location of the unit itself and/or the location of the power cord relative to the signal cables (they do cross, at 90 degrees). I don't have any flexibility on where to locate the unit, unfortunately. I tried all the troubleshooting steps in the manual (except for relocating the unit), without success. I can live with it though, as I cannot heard it at normal volume even with no music playing.

Any suggestions?

Try lowering the input impedance of the phono stage
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:44 pm

Jprod - I have dealt with (and documented on various threads here) hum extensively. I'm sure it's not a ground loop. It's also different to my previous hum issues I had with my old cart in that nothing I try changes the hum at all. I have tried running ground wires to all possible locations and have tried touching the ground lug on the turntable with my finger - that immediately fixed the issues I had with my old cart. None of these make any difference.

Brf - I thought it might be related to the input impedance, but reducing from Fixed 47k ohm to 550 ohm made no difference. I will try adjusting the 550 downwards (possible range is 50-550) and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Jprod » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:20 pm

If you are at an impasse may I suggest a call to parasound. I had a question about the a21 before I bought it and I spoke to Mr Schram ! I never expected that. We ended up talking for a good 15 min. They are very helpful and have exemplary customer service
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Graham slee accession phono amp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Jprod » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:12 am

Now that you have played with your new toy, how are you liking it? Did you resolve your issue?
Jprod

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:09 pm

Issue not resolved yet, no. I have only had a chance to listen for a couple of hours and I know I don't have things setup properly yet. It's weird, when I listened a week or two back it sounded incredible, but when I got back from vacation earlier this week and listened, it sounded harsh and glary on the top-end. I hadn't changed anything so I don't understand. The cart is new too so perhaps some settling in of the cart. Think I need to recheck setup. If I put that aside, the good things I hear are clearly superior to the old amp - incredible detail, delicacy and decay (the three Ds?). Setup of cart and/or amp is not right yet though.
Dorian

Postby Brf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:23 pm

Dorian wrote:Issue not resolved yet, no. I have only had a chance to listen for a couple of hours and I know I don't have things setup properly yet. It's weird, when I listened a week or two back it sounded incredible, but when I got back from vacation earlier this week and listened, it sounded harsh and glary on the top-end. I hadn't changed anything so I don't understand. The cart is new too so perhaps some settling in of the cart. Think I need to recheck setup. If I put that aside, the good things I hear are clearly superior to the old amp - incredible detail, delicacy and decay (the three Ds?). Setup of cart and/or amp is not right yet though.

What you are experiencing is cartridge break-in as the suspension is starting to settle in. Don't worry too much about mico adjustments as they will change over the next 100 hours.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks Brf.
Dorian

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio