Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Re: Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Postby Dorian » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:34 pm

Straight out of the box it sounds excellent. Significantly more detail (inner?) then the previous preamp. Full, tight and controlled bass, more so than its predecessor. Excellent cohesion. I would not say it is a "huge" improvement over the iPhono though, more an evolution. Big compliment for the $499 iPhono then? Or I need to give the JC3+ a lot more time?

I do have a question: My MIMC Star's "Resistive Minimum Load" stated on the bottom of its box is 470 Ω. The JC3+ has two options for MC carts: Fixed 47k Ω or Variable 50-550 Ω. The JC3+ manual says "Fixed 47k is the load that Grado and SoundSmith recommend for their Moving Iron cartridges." Does 470 Ω = 47k Ω?

Update: Cymbals and acoustic guitars on Rumors sound amazing, best I've ever heard it. The biggest improvement I'm hearing so far is in detail. A lot more detail.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby jonathanb » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:17 pm

No, 47k ohm ≠ 470 ohm. I'd start by adjusting the variable load to 550 ohms and listening to it there for a while. I suspect it should sound fine there and it's close enough to 470 ohms that you may not need to keep fiddling to achieve that last nth degree of sonic performance. (But you will anyway, of course! :mrgreen: )
jonathanb

Postby Dorian » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:36 pm

Thanks JB will try it tomorrow.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:46 pm

Changed the resistance to 550 ohm and have been playing for a few hours now. This thing sounds incredible. All I can say is that the music sounds more like real music than I've ever heard. Beautiful long decays on held electric guitar notes and cymbal crashes. Incredibly full and tight bass. Incredible detail. The music is liquid and flowing.
Dorian

Postby Jprod » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Glad to hear that you are happy with the new premap! What made you decide on the jc3+ vs a chinook , lehman decade, or even the liberrty phono premap?
VPI Prime, Graham slee accession phono amp, parasound p5 preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters
Jprod

Postby Dorian » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Jprod wrote:Glad to hear that you are happy with the new premap! What made you decide on the jc3+ vs a chinook , lehman decade, or even the liberrty phono premap?

Great question, as I considered all of those. In the end it was Stereophile's Recommended Components Class A rating and Michael Fremer's review, in particular this sentence from the penultimate paragraph: "In real world priced systems it’s likely to max-out vinyl performance and keep you locked in to listening for years to come."
Dorian

Postby Jprod » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Dorian wrote:
Jprod wrote:Glad to hear that you are happy with the new premap! What made you decide on the jc3+ vs a chinook , lehman decade, or even the liberrty phono premap?

Great question, as I considered all of those. In the end it was Stereophile's Recommended Components Class A rating and Michael Fremer's review, in particular this sentence from the penultimate paragraph: "In real world priced systems it’s likely to max-out vinyl performance and keep you locked in to listening for years to come."

I'd love to do a side by side comparison to my graham slee accession but I live in the audio desert of NE Ohio where I can't find a dealer close by to audition. I'm sure the Jc is better but how much better is the question
VPI Prime, Graham slee accession phono amp, parasound p5 preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters
Jprod

Postby tom collins » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:44 pm

JP, try living around Cincinnati.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:18 pm

It is no surprise at all that the JC3 is a superb preamp. For you younger cats out there, you may not realize it but the designer of the JC3 (John Curl) designed one of the most Iconic lines of phono preamps the world has never heard, the legendary Vendetta Research line...Still to this day among the finest and quietest head amps and phono stages ever made...I am using an SCP-1 in my system..No words..It still just smokes everything else I have tried..It is utterly silent while handling a .18mv output MC....It excels at all of the attributes we want in the amplification chain...Congrats on your purchase! :D
Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI HRX Reference (MagDrive/RimDrive), 12" 3DR tonearms, Miyajima Kansui & ZERO, VPI ADS, Vendetta SCP-1
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Dorian » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks and yes I had read about John Curl's background and that was a contributing factor to my decision too.

As to trialing the JC3+, Audio Advisor (where I bought mine) does have a 30-day return policy. You just have to pay return shipping. Given that they pay shipping to you, this may be a good option.
Dorian

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio