Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Re: Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Postby Dorian » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:08 pm

audiom3 wrote:Fascinating thread, Dorian...and I don't mean because you're going through this frustrating task. You and I have a VERY similar situation. Wish I would have read your thread before this weekend! haha... As you know, I am getting a buzz (in both channels equally) in my Pass Labs XP-15 once the volume is a little below what I consider my reference level. I can clearly hear it between songs, on acoustic material and anything with lots of openness in the album. This weekend I ran grounds every which way (had a few grounding leads on hand) Tried each amp, the pre-amp, CDP, phono pre, Classic box and spindle in a systematic pattern. Same with the infamous cheater plug. I even ran the whole system un-grounded. Ran equipment through different, although adjacent outlets. Ran the Pass on an extension cord from the other side of the house. In my case, I have my right channel speaker inches from my TT. And as many bad things that I've read about doing this, moving it did nothing for the buzz. They are also high efficiency speakers (96dB). I *think* that could be the issue. I am almost positive it's EMF related. I've called the re-seller and even Pass Labs. They're willing to add some kind of shield to the internal transformer but I really don't think that'll do the trick. I know for a fact it's coming from the Pass. I shorted both sets of inputs and then turned it up and heard just as much buzz. I tried balanced outputs. Same audible buzz. I'm guessing some phono preamps are just more sensitive than others. My Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ is silent (well, other than typical white noise when driven hard). I'm afraid to move away from my current phono pre now (but like your old phono pre, this one is pretty damn good too). The Pass was an incremental step up...for 5x the price. But a price I would have paid for that additional ~5% improvement lol. I will be very curious to know how the Herron works out for you. Especially in terms of EMI sensitivity.

Hi audiom3, yes it sounds like we are in a very similar situation - I feel your pain! The Herron should be with me in a couple of weeks; will report back then.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Bloodflame666 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 pm

gene9p wrote:I had the Phenomena II + also. Great phono stage and so many easy access settings. Quite a quality product and affordable too...but..yeah I got the bug and picked up a Chinook. I was messing with the tube phono stage in my Mac 220 and that led me to the Manley Chinook. The Musical surrounding was my first really good phono stage and I still highly recommend it. If you are not going to a tube stage, I would stay with what you have.

I’ve never been interested or really considered a tube amp for my setup. I really like the solid stage products I have and for the type of music I listen to, I believe solid state best suites it. I’m having a b stock jc3+ sent my way to test out in my system. If I like it I’ll buy it. If not then I’ll send it back. I’ve had my eyes on a Parasound phonostage for a very long time. Especially since I’m already using other Parasound gear to pair it with.
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby gene9p » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Bloodflame666 wrote:
gene9p wrote:I had the Phenomena II + also. Great phono stage and so many easy access settings. Quite a quality product and affordable too...but..yeah I got the bug and picked up a Chinook. I was messing with the tube phono stage in my Mac 220 and that led me to the Manley Chinook. The Musical surrounding was my first really good phono stage and I still highly recommend it. If you are not going to a tube stage, I would stay with what you have.

I’ve never been interested or really considered a tube amp for my setup. I really like the solid stage products I have and for the type of music I listen to, I believe solid state best suites it. I’m having a b stock jc3+ sent my way to test out in my system. If I like it I’ll buy it. If not then I’ll send it back. I’ve had my eyes on a Parasound phonostage for a very long time. Especially since I’m already using other Parasound gear to pair it with.

I was using my Phenomena with Parasound gear as well. A JC2 pre amp and an A21 amp.
VPI CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1| HARBETH 7es-3 | MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Cables|WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Bloodflame666 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:33 pm

gene9p wrote:
Bloodflame666 wrote:

I was using my Phenomena with Parasound gear as well. A JC2 pre amp and an A21 amp.

Nice! I’ll be trying the jc3+ with an a21 and p5. That’s kind of why I want to try the 3+ out. It should mate extremely well with my other Parasound gear. Plus it’s one of the best solid state phonostages around. Especially at that price. Let’s just hope I don’t get the hum that Dorian got
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Previous

Return to General Audio