Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Re: Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Postby VinBob » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:49 pm

Well, funny you should mention that Gene - I had an RP6 and had horrible hum issues using their Exact cartridge. Apparently, their newer RB303 tonearm wasn't properly shielded and this was after trying two of them. I guess I got unlucky with a bad batch (or lucky as it brought me over to the VPI Family!) but I don't think going the Rega route is necessarily better! :lol:
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Dorian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:03 pm

MikeS wrote:Have you tried running your whole system ungrounded?

Nope. Worth a shot I guess!
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Gregory Gale » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Dorian, if you have not reached out to Richard Schram who is the President of Parasound, I would encourage you to do so to discuss the challenge and humming issue you have currently as this is not normal.

I originally had a loud pop that came through my speakers when turning off my Classic 3 which I did not have with my previous Graham Slee Reflex phono stage. His response which I had confirmed with others is that based on the Classic 3 switch and the way the unit is wired this has been a known issue which may be addressed with a capacitor change.

The fact that the Parasound is a Direct Coupled design is why this is transmitted through the Parasound. Now that I have the Eagle and turn off the table using that switch versus the power button on the VPI, this is no longer an issue.

I have had correspondence with Richard on several occasions and met with him personally at an Axpona show and he followed up right away and is very concerned about customers being satisfied with his companies products.

It appears you are satisfied with the sound overall but not without the hum issue. The only time I can hear a faint hum through my speakers is if I turn up my volume control full open and this would be way to loud and would destroy the speakers if attempted.

So I don't believe any phono stage preamp will be totally silent, however if you are getting hum coming through at normal and even high listening levels that you can hear from your listening position something is not right. Before the product itself is blamed I would definitely call or e-mail Richard. Good luck in finding the solution you are looking for.

Richards, e-mail is : richard@parasound.com
VPI Classic 3 Rosewood
Phoenix Eagle PSU
Parasound JC3+ Phono Stage
Nordost Quattro Fil Phono Cable
Ortofon Cadenza Black MC
Ayre KX-5 Twenty Preamp
Classe CA2300 Amplifier
B&W802D3 speakers
Gregory Gale

Postby Dorian » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Thanks Greg, I appreciate your thoughtful reply. I ordered some Pangea power cords just in case those may help; they arrive tomorrow. If they don’t work I will definitely email Richard. Thank again.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby gene9p » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm

VPI CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1| HARBETH 7es-3 | MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Cables|WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Johnny » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:06 pm

gene9p wrote:dump the Parasound and get this

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tube- ... amplifiers

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I think gene9p likes the Chinook :D
Johnny

Postby gene9p » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:27 pm

VPI CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1| HARBETH 7es-3 | MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Cables|WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Jprod » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:00 pm

Gene, you thinking about dumping the chinook for the jc3jr? :)
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby gene9p » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:03 pm

Jprod wrote:Gene, you thinking about dumping the chinook for the jc3jr? :)

LOL..not a chance... ;)
gene9p

Postby Dorian » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:14 pm

To close the loop on this, after trying after-market power cords with no effect, I've decided to return the JC3+ as I just cannot get rid of the hum. With apologies to Gene, I'm going to give Keith Herron a call and see if he thinks his VTPH-2 will be a good match for my system.
Dorian

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio