Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Re: Parasound Halo JC3+ Incoming

Postby Dorian » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:02 pm

Bloodflame666 wrote:I’ve been running this Herron completely unloaded for about a week or so now and all I can say is it is the best sounding phono stage I’ve ever owned or heard. Unloaded is the way to go too. What a dynamic difference!

Agree with you 100%. The Herron is incredible! I am running it unloaded too.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Bloodflame666 wrote:I’ve been running this Herron completely unloaded for about a week or so now and all I can say is it is the best sounding phono stage I’ve ever owned or heard. Unloaded is the way to go too. What a dynamic difference!

Hey 666, I was listening to the Herron on headphones for the first time this week and noticed glare and harshness in the high frequencies. So I plugged in the 500 ohm resistor plugs and glare went away, much smoother sound overall.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Bloodflame666 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:17 am

Dorian wrote:

Hey 666, I was listening to the Herron on headphones for the first time this week and noticed glare and harshness in the high frequencies. So I plugged in the 500 ohm resistor plugs and glare went away, much smoother sound overall.

I’ve actually never used headphones as I listen in a 2.1 channel setup. I really like it unloaded but I used the 500 ohm plugs at first. The dynamics were better unloaded and it seemed to pack more punch. Who knows what it would sound like under headphones though. Interesting observation though. Whatever works best for you I’d roll with though!
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby Pythonman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:37 am

Just picked up a JC3+ for my Prime. I also have the Halo P5 and Halo A21 to go with and there's absolutely zero hum or noise. RIght now I'm using the MM stage with a Hana SH cartridge and I'm going through the unbalanced outputs. The ground from my Prime goes straight to the JC3+ only and I have the phono preamp sitting three inches above my A21 power amp separated by a shelf. So far the JC3+ is doing a fantastic job but it does need a fair bit of break in. From what I've heard so far I'm extremely glad I got this unit.
VPI Prime, Hana SH, Parasound A21, Parasound P5, Parasound JC3+, Athena AS F2s
Pythonman

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:35 am

Pythonman wrote:Just picked up a JC3+ for my Prime. I also have the Halo P5 and Halo A21 to go with and there's absolutely zero hum or noise. RIght now I'm using the MM stage with a Hana SH cartridge and I'm going through the unbalanced outputs. The ground from my Prime goes straight to the JC3+ only and I have the phono preamp sitting three inches above my A21 power amp separated by a shelf. So far the JC3+ is doing a fantastic job but it does need a fair bit of break in. From what I've heard so far I'm extremely glad I got this unit.

Congrats, glad to hear it.
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:37 am

Bloodflame666 wrote:
Dorian wrote:

I’ve actually never used headphones as I listen in a 2.1 channel setup. I really like it unloaded but I used the 500 ohm plugs at first. The dynamics were better unloaded and it seemed to pack more punch. Who knows what it would sound like under headphones though. Interesting observation though. Whatever works best for you I’d roll with though!

Just as an update here, I went away from using the loading plugs quite some time ago completely and the sound is fantastic. Can't imagine ever going away from the Herron now, it's here for keeps!
Dorian

Previous

Return to General Audio