Stacking Platters

Stacking Platters

Postby Katfink » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:25 am

Has anyone tried stacking one classic platter on top of another? Sort of like the magnetic double platter without the magnets. Would it work? What are the pros and cons.
Katfink

Re: Stacking Platters

Postby Dorian » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:24 am

Why would you want to do that?
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby spinblackcircle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:24 pm

You would need to add a spacer to the tonearm mount as well.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Katfink » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Better speed stability with the extra weight? Wouldn't that equal better sound? I guess I'm wondering if you can get close to the performance of the magnetic platter by stacking two of the classics. I thought I read that VPI wasn't going to make the mag platter for older models like my Aries.
Katfink

Postby Brf » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Katfink wrote:Has anyone tried stacking one classic platter on top of another? Sort of like the magnetic double platter without the magnets. Would it work? What are the pros and cons.

I've seen other table manufactures employ a double stack platter. Never heard one though. You would need vpi to modify the second platter as the inverted bearing hole is larger than the spindle hole.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Katfink » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:29 pm

How about making an adapter for the spindle...it's threaded.
Katfink

Return to General Audio