Mastering Quality

Re: Mastering Quality

Postby SubVet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:47 am

Perhaps the MQA process can be beneficial to streaming but I have no interest in it as it relates to download or physical products. I want as little processing as possible from the master to the digital or analog product I purchase.
Soundsmith MIMC Star on VPI Aries 3 w/ Classic 3 Arm and SDS
Pass Labs XP-15, Pass Labs XP-10, Pass Labs X-150.8, Audio Sensibility cables and Harbeth C7ES-3 Speakers
Marantz SA8005 and Denon DN-700R recorder on the digital side
SubVet

Postby babybird » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:02 am

The problem with MQA is the jury is still out on this. From what I've read there are many highly skilled and respected audio engineers who don't care for what MQA does. And all too often the industry has been promised over and over again a better format in the digital domain. But for a litany of reasons they never seem to measure up, let alone gain critical mass. For that matter you can't even get a majority of engineers to agree whether high res digital downloads are worth it. More importantly the vast majority of people who listen to music could care less.

Audiophiles are the 1%'ers in this case, if that. If I had a dollar for every person I've had discussions with about SACD, high res downloads or even DVD-A who have never even heard of these formats by now I could have retired. While music sales and the high end struggled over the last decade and a half, Apple stole the hearts and minds of an entire generation or two of music listeners with a pair of ear buds and compressed audio on the go. I'm not seeing much of a reversed trend so far.

Perhaps MQA will end up at the top of the heap, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. Had not heard MQA was being adapted for analog though. Interesting.
babybird

Postby Orchids1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:52 am

Babybird, There are those who do not care for MQA, but I don't think it's fair to say that the jury is still out. Reviewers from Stereophile, TAS, HiFi + and Stereo Times, to name only a few, are very enthusiastic. Major record labels are in the process of encoding virtually their entire libraries. A senior executive at Sony Digital Music told me quite recently that their bet was down on MQA. More and more DACS and streamers are now MQA enabled. I think the reason why the audiophile community hasnt yet recognized the level of MQA acceptance is that the last piece of the puzzle, wide commercial distribution, has yet to be put in place. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby babybird » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks for the additional info Rich, sounds like you have spent some time looking into this. And you may be correct, perhaps this is the be all end all. But to that I will reiterate without critical mass adopting this technology I don't see it ever becoming standard. Clearly 99% of music listeners could give a rats behind based upon my observations. If it really is that much better hopefully you are right though.
babybird

Previous

Return to General Audio