Aluminati Stainless Steel Record Weight

Aluminati Stainless Steel Record Weight

Postby mmai » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:18 pm

Have any of you tried this one? If so, how is it compared to the HRX Center Weight?
https://www.aluminati.us/collections/re ... ord-weight
VPI 30th Anniversary Classic (fully tricked out), Audio Technica AT-ART9 & AT33Mono, Aesthetix Rhea
mmai

Re: Aluminati Stainless Steel Record Weight

Postby spinblackcircle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:54 pm

A little late to the party but I just ordered one. I'll report back after it arrives. I've had the HR-X weight in the past. The Aluminati looks to be heavier at 2.75 lbs.

Should be interesting. ;)
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby mmai » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks for the response. Let's see how that goes...
VPI 30th Anniversary Classic (fully tricked out), Audio Technica AT-ART9 & AT33Mono, Aesthetix Rhea
mmai

Postby Stringreen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:17 pm

What's wrong with the VPI weight that alternate weights are preferred.
Stringreen

Postby spinblackcircle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Stringreen wrote:What's wrong with the VPI weight that alternate weights are preferred.

Nothing aside from the Aluminati is 1/3 of the price.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Packgrog » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:11 am

Not for nothing, but unless you have a severe warp and are using the ring clamp as well, I think you'd get better sonic performance with the screw-down clamp. If only my Jr had the threaded spindle... :(
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Packgrog wrote:Not for nothing, but unless you have a severe warp and are using the ring clamp as well, I think you'd get better sonic performance with the screw-down clamp. If only my Jr had the threaded spindle... :(

I have the screw down Stainless/Delrin clamp. I've also owned the HR-X Weight and Periphery Ring combo. They each have their pluses and minuses. I purchased the Aluminati weight because I wanted something to keep the record firmly connected to the platter without dishing the record. What sounds best out of the three? Hard to say, I probably could not tell in a blind test so I'm not going to comment.

The Aluminati weight is a beautifully machined piece of Stainless. I'm extremely pleased. If it was sold through traditional Audio channels, it would easily be in the $149-199 price range and IMHO is a bargain at it's selling price.

If the HR-X weight is out of your budget, or you want something a little heavier, I've not seen (or heard) a better option out there without spending allot more, I'll leave it at that.
spinblackcircle

Postby Brf » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:39 pm

I almost “pushed” the purchase button because the price is so darn cheap for a high precision stainless steel record weight. Then I paused and looked at my small collection of record weights that I no longer use ever since I purchased the Stillpoints LP1. If you are in the market for a record weight and do want to spend big $$, the Aluminati looks like the real deal. Heck, I still may buy one.......

If you own a Prime table, I would buy one and take it to a machine shop and have them tap it for a replacement platter bearing secure nut. Remeber the stainless steel retaining “donut” thread?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Guss2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:00 pm

Brf wrote:I almost “pushed” the purchase button because the price is so darn cheap for a high precision stainless steel record weight. Then I paused and looked at my small collection of record weights that I no longer use ever since I purchased the Stillpoints LP1. If you are in the market for a record weight and do want to spend big $$, the Aluminati looks like the real deal. Heck, I still may buy one.......

If you own a Prime table, I would buy one and take it to a machine shop and have them tap it for a replacement platter bearing secure nut. Remeber the stainless steel retaining “donut” thread?

I just wish they made the heavier model in the anodized black for a different look when spinning.
Guss2

Postby mmai » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:25 pm

Brf wrote:I almost “pushed” the purchase button because the price is so darn cheap for a high precision stainless steel record weight. Then I paused and looked at my small collection of record weights that I no longer use ever since I purchased the Stillpoints LP1. If you are in the market for a record weight and do want to spend big $$, the Aluminati looks like the real deal. Heck, I still may buy one.......

Bfr, the bearing nut idea is brilliant.

Also, can anyone confirm if the thread is 1inch X 14 TPI (UNS thread) for the Classic 1?
mmai

Next

Return to General Audio