Room Treatments

Room Treatments

Postby Astraltraveler » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:51 pm

I'm contemplating moving my system out of my living room into a spare bedroom. The room is 16x12. There is a 70" window and a 70" closet along the long walls. I'm thinking about filling the closet with record shelving. Can anyone offer advice on the best way to manage reflection points along the window?

Photos of the side walls:
thumbnail_IMG_2550.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2550.jpg (54.73 KiB) Viewed 561 times

thumbnail_IMG_2558.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2558.jpg (64.7 KiB) Viewed 561 times
Astraltraveler

Re: Room Treatments

Postby Gb1 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:00 pm

There is a company out of Eugene Oregon called ASC. They make a product called a window plug. I have not used it yet, but plan to. http://www.acousticsciences.com/products/windowplug
VPI Classic 2 #3190, Clearaudio Concerto V2 cartridge, Audioquest Leopard interconnects, McIntosh MAC 6700, Macintosh Mini, Sony Blu-Ray, Magico S3s, Shunyata Alpha 6, HW-16.5.
Gb1

Postby oldskooldude » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:48 pm

At $500 plus $35 per square foot, it's going to be a pretty penny for the Window Plug alone.

I have a similar environment, a 10 X 10.5 foot room, a large double window in front of the speakers. There is a record rack against the one wall and a computer desk with computer, monitor and chair on the other. Other than that I have normal room stuff, a pile carpet, a listening lounger and a table and lamp. The equipment is in a front corner and there is some shelving in the other front corner. A flat screen TV sits in the middle of the speakers.

In a room that small there will be bass issues. Speaker placement will affect what you need on the walls. They need to be as far away from the walls and floor as you can get and still position them so you can get a good image. I started with foam bass traps in the front corners and egg crate and that just deadened everything. After installing some maple slabs under the (bookshelf) speakers and TT and adding more damping to the equipment I got very good results. Then I installed the Synergistic Research HRTs Level 1 and 2 (they recommend three) and HRT-X Level 1 (you can add a second level). Now I have very little bass resonance due to ported speakers. I expect the SCM19s to correct that as they are not ported. I don't think this room can sound any better.

The window will pass the lower registers almost 100% and sheet rock walls absorb about 30% of bass. A suspended, wooden floor can be a problem for bass resonance. It's the high frequency that the HRTs affect. I recommend them highly, as do most who have used them. Sounds pretty good to these old ears, although I did spend a fair amount of cash to accomplish the results.
oldskooldude

Postby DonFrio » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:53 am

having some reflection surfaces in the room is just fine. even a large window. its total percentage of flat wall reflections that starts to matter. Get some real traps or gik acoustics traps or build some out of owens corning 703 and spray glue some fabric on them. If you really feel it necessary, build a window plug from 2 or 4" owens corning.
DonFrio

Postby babybird » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 pm

If it were me I would just incorporate some pleated blinds, we use Bali that completely block the light and are a single rectangular tube pleat. Works great. You could also make some DIY plugs yourself if you are the least bit handy with tools and have a modicum of building skills.
babybird

Postby JohnCh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:14 am

I did the same as babybird. The right side of my room, including the right side of the front and back walls, is a solid bank of 4.5' tall windows which resulted in an overly bright sound. The pleated shades do make a noticeable improvement and have the side benefit of keeping the room warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. The associated savings in utilities is funneled back into the upgrade budget :-)

-John
VPI Classic Signature, VAS Nova Signature, Lehmann Black Cube SE II, Oppo BDP-105, VTL 2.5 w/NOS tubes, Channel Islands Audio E200S, Magnepan 1.7 w/Mye stands, REL Strata III, Audio Sensibility Impact SE & Clear Day Double Shotgun cables
JohnCh

Postby Gary1955 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:32 pm

I went with a honeycomb pleated design of window blinds on 2 windows on the front wall- they work very well sound wise and also look good.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Return to General Audio