Ortofon PW Ti

Ortofon PW Ti

Postby JamesV » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:45 pm

I just order the new Ortofon PW Ti. They have not landed in the USA yet. Any day now... :D :shock:
Replacing a Paua. I'll report back once received.
VPI HR-X w/3DR arm - Ortofon PW Ti
VAC Signature MKIIaSE Pre with VAC phono pre
VAC Phi 200's
Magico S5's
All cables-Synergistic Research
Aurender music server
All Synergistic room tweaks-PHT for the phono cart. Audeze LCD-2 and Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2
JamesV

Re: Ortofon PW Ti

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Should be a sweet unit...Congrats
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Stringreen » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 pm

I'd be very interested.....I have a Winfield (regular) and am inquisitive as to your evaluation.
Stringreen

Postby JamesV » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:08 pm

So the PW Ti has been on the HRX for 5 days now. First impressions are: ruler flat response, smooth, liquid, extreme air and pinpoint soundstaging. It tracks beautifully on all test records. I am getting used to the lower output. .2mv I may get a SUT form BOB as my pre is a tube design with 64db of gain. Not enough to drive the system to proper dynamic levels.
Compared to my former SS Paua I find the Ortofon much more refined. But not as ballsy. The SS had a heaver touch. Ortofon has more resolution with less drama. If that makes any sense.
VAC Phi 200's
Magico S5's
Aurender music server
All Synergistic room tweaks-PHT for the phono cart. Audeze LCD-2 and Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2
JamesV

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:13 pm

I had the first version of the Windfeld. I thought it sounded best loaded at 47 ohms.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby Bill Stevenson » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:50 pm

This is great insight. My favorite cartridge is a Per Windfeld and the phonostage is a Conrad Johnson tube unit with 55 db of gain. A Bob's Devices Sky10 set at 5:1 was needed to make this system sing like crazy. Highly recommended. I hope someone will be able to compare the new and the old PW. Mikey Fremer's write up in Stereophile was pretty good, but fell short of a direct, real time comparison.
Bill Stevenson

Postby Stringreen » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:55 pm

James/Bill thanks for commenting on the Winfield. I use the regular (not Ti) version, and what I like about it is its complete honesty - no technicolor fake excitement, etc. It tracks anything in my collection with ease. I'm using 3D w/2nd pivot, all Ayre with Vandersteen speakers...the one thing I'd like would perhaps be more depth in the soundstage. Maybe that is offered in the Ti. I found that very careful installation and adjustment reveals treasures.
Stringreen

Postby JamesV » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:50 pm

More to come...SUT arrived today.
On the soundstaging...best I've ever gotten from analog. Images are perfectly placed in space. Set up is critical. As I mentioned, I've got the channel separation above 30 and crosstalk to 1-2 db.
Can't wait to hear what the Bob's Devices Sky 30 does...report to come.
VAC Phi 200's
Magico S5's
Aurender music server
JamesV

Postby Stringreen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:53 pm

Those figures are the same as my older Winfield. I would guess that the new one is a bit cleaner with less resonance....although the 2 are probably very similar.
Stringreen

Return to General Audio