Zephyr III vs Zephyr MIMC

Zephyr III vs Zephyr MIMC

Postby Mikeknj » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:56 pm

I currently have a VPI Zephyr and I understand that the me III is a fuller bodied sound then the MIMC version. Am I going to lose any warmth in the midrange?
Mikeknj

Re: Zephyr III vs Zephyr MIMC

Postby babybird » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 pm

I don't have a specific answer for you having only owned and used the original VPI Zephyr cartridge, however I have been researching this same issue myself for the last few weeks because I would like to upgrade myself. If you haven't read the review of the MIMC Star on Analog Planet you should, but also keep reading the comment section below the review since Peter Lederman himself contributed to the discussion to clarify a few things regarding these two cartridges. He did mention there was some mid range warmth in the MK III, while the MIMC tends to be more neutral, linear through the bandwidth.

There are few other reviews of the MIMC on the internet, all glowing in terms of its performance, and all claiming this cartridge plays well beyond its price point. My gut feeling is the MK III performs just a notch below the MIMC everything else being equal. But its also my understanding the loading on the MIMC can be a bit tricky, and or inconsistent. The reviews I've read, seemed to all fall in at different load settings, none of them being at the recommended 470 ohms, go figure.

Hope this helps
babybird

Postby babybird » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:03 pm

This past week I bellied up to the bar and traded in my old VPI Zephyr for the MIMC. Just finally got around to installing this afternoon. My current phono stage (Emotiva XPS-1) is totally outclassed by the rest of my system but even with that in mind the cartridge sound pretty nice. Way too early to go into any detail on the differences though. But I'm not hearing this loss of warmth in the midrange at least not yet. If you have the phono stage and the pocket book go for it. I doubt you would be disappointed.
babybird

Postby Mikeknj » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:23 pm

Have one for about 3 weeks and quite happy with it.
Mikeknj

Return to General Audio