Harbeth 7ES-3 owners

Re: Harbeth 7ES-3 owners

Postby avanti1960 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:31 am

I've had the C7ES3s for about a year now and they are never leaving my system. Not perfect and I wound up carefully selecting and integrating a good subwoofer but what they do they do extremely well.
Coherency of sound and incredible dispersion / sound stage. Extreme vocal and instrumental realism and clarity / transparency. Low distortion drivers. I read harmonic distortion plots of speakers as a way of evaluating them because I have had speakers that did not measure well and they sounded like it. The Brystons have high levels of harmonic distortion at sensitive midrange frequencies that will show up as listening fatigue. The C7s have absolutely zero listening fatigue.
They do need power to come alive (at least 100 WPC) and you have that box checked quite well.
Pay attention to room placement (read the manual) and stand height (the Skylan stands work very well) and toe in and you should enjoy for many years.
avanti1960

Postby gene9p » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:01 pm

thanks..I have them on my 10 inch wood stands but will go a little higher with a replacement center column I plan to order.. I didn't like them on my 24 inch stands. They are slightly toed in now also. I also put my stock tubes back in my Manley Chinook. The not broken Amperex tubes were not bringing out the best of my TT with the Harbeths. Cd's sounded awesome but LPs were lacking. The Harbeths responded nicely to the stocks. I'll save that project for later on. The Harbeths appeal to me in how they have that old fashioned look and sound. I agree, no fatigue here.....I can listen to them and look at them for long periods of time with a smile.
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby gene9p » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:35 am

IMG_20170810_180957863.jpg
notice the blue tape so I would not lose the sweet spot
IMG_20170810_180957863.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 347 times

One quick call and the replacement columns are here already. Unfinished but that's ok as I wanted them fast. My 7's now stand 14 inches from floor to bottom of speakers.
Attachments
IMG_20170811_134746225.jpg
IMG_20170811_134746225.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 323 times
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby mmai » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:00 am

I, too took delivery of a pair of C7ES3 yesterday.

I don't have the stands yet, so I put them on the floor with the packing foam underneath right in front of my current speakers (JMLab Micro Utopia).

Without having proper placement, I cannot resist the temptation so I played them for about 20 minutes and here are my very sketchy first impressions: The Micro Utopias are more lively and have snappier & tighter bass, but the C7ES3s have bigger presentation, fuller body and more details.

My best buddy is building a pair of "open-frame" stands for me right now, loosely modelled after the Foundation Stands.

With regard to the stands, there are two schools of thought, mass-loading and open-frame. It seems mass-loading is more popular in North America, while open-frame is more so in Europe and Asia (especially Japan).

I wanted to try mass-loaded stands such as those from Sound Anchor and Skylan, but the freight charges are prohibitively expensive given their weight and those selling in the used market are not willing to ship, citing the sheer weight and lack of shipping boxes.

Thus, I turned my attention to open-frame stands, but they are not readily available in the States. Such dilemma :-(

Luckily my best buddy came to the rescue and he is willing to build me the open-frame stands.

While I was searching for stands, I found these very attractive from China but not available in the States:
http://www.guizu.com.cn/space.php?do=pr ... d=28&lg=en
VPI 30th Anniversary Classic (fully tricked out), Audio Technica AT-ART9 & AT33Mono, Aesthetix Rhea
mmai

Postby gene9p » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:02 am

A few items came up that I jumped at. First was a 5 meter pair of LFD Spiroflex speaker cables from Gene Rubin and then came a used LFD LE MK IV SIG on AGON that I picked up locally.. I am surprised at how small the LFD LE is but then it sounds so big. I will be running everything through it for some time to decide if it's a keeper. It's as simple and bare bones you can get, all hands on , no remote. I did set up a wrist/hand ground strap to avoid any static discharge. The LFD cables are very stiff single strand with some very tight plugs at each end. A bit brighter than the Morrow SP4's, very detailed, could probably used some good break in time. It took very long for the Morrows to do their best but then they tell you that when you purchase them .
Attachments
IMG_20170829_110435144.jpg
IMG_20170829_110435144.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 250 times
gene9p

Postby gene9p » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:10 am

back to basics?. The LFd LE and the LFD spiroflex have new homes. I just could not give up my tube gear and balanced cabling. So back in place, my McIntosh c220,out..the Parasound A21..in... a McIntosh MC-152amp ...in... a pair of used Sound anchor 4 post stands via Gene Rubin...in ..Audio sensibility Statement Phono cable....out..Morrow PH5 phono cable....awaiting, Hebies Audio Labs big fat Squares for the stands...phew..been very busy, but in a good way. Great to try some different gear in home and evaluate the pluses and minuses. Miss having a good local audio store where I could do this more easily, and at their nickel..LOL
Attachments
Harbeth 2.jpg
Harbeth 2.jpg (201.05 KiB) Viewed 92 times
Harbeth one.jpg
Harbeth one.jpg (204.12 KiB) Viewed 92 times
gene9p

Previous

Return to General Audio