Counterweight Design

Re: Counterweight Design

Postby Waxxy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:18 pm

Tlarwa wrote:Advice needed ... thinking about getting one of these but I'm not sure what weight to get. I am using an Ortofon Quintet, which is 9g. The EA site says the 120g weight should be used with cartridges up to 10g, but I am using my 140g VPI weight now (came with my Classic 1) and it's fine. Should I go for the 120g or the 140g?

Personally I would stick with the 140 gram weight as you know this already performs well in your current set-up.
Waxxy

Postby Waxxy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:23 pm

Has anyone else tried the Expressimo counterweight? I'm very happy with my re-freshed JMW-10s and 10.5s!

P7013997.jpg
P7013997.jpg (97.14 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Waxxy

Postby Stringreen » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:40 pm

The very best way to set azimuth is to use the 2nd pivot mod. To me, the installation of the 2nd pivot is a pain, but using this, and the Foz gives an accurate way to do it right. The counterintutive is not the way to go...it makes setting the arm without the 2nd pivot a bit easier, but with the 2nd pivot, its not useful.
Stringreen

Postby twentyhertz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Hey folks- I need a new counterweight (my new cartridge is too light for the stock one), but have no way to weigh the one that came with my arm.
Waxxy (or whomever) do you know the weight of the round, black-checkered weight that came on the original JMW 10? It looks the same as in the pic posted with the three arms..

Thanks
twentyhertz

Postby billo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:41 pm

twentyhertz wrote:Hey folks do you know the weight of the round, black-checkered weight that came on the original JMW 10?
Thanks

I have the original JMW 10 and use the 120 gm weight for carts 9.5+ grams. For 9 and under I add the VPI 3 gram headshell weight with great results.
billo

Postby Packgrog » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:17 am

Waxxy wrote:Has anyone else tried the Expressimo counterweight? I'm very happy with my re-freshed JMW-10s and 10.5s!

P7013997.jpg

I recently tried it on my Scout Jr. It does improve sound/tracking a bit, though I do suspect that the change would be more dramatic with a unipivot. One advantage of the Half Moon over a similar mass underslung VPI counterweight is that it's easier to center the mass of the weight by lining up the bottom of it with the tonearm base. I doubt that the brass makes any difference, given the Delrin insert.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby masluck1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Hi,

I have been communicating with Brian at ExpressimoAudio (EA) (and he has been very responsive) regarding their brass VPI counterweights. I have a VPI TNT MK IV with the original JMW 12 (assuming 12.0) arm. I have the round counterweight with the black/silver checker paint effect on it. I am in the process of trying to source the EA Half Moon counterweight/counterweights, but Brian informs me that in order to balance my Shelter MK II (8.1g weight) with the LMW 12 arm, that I would need (2) of his brass counterweights because the weight of the ordinal counterweight on my current (original) JMW 12 is between 200 and 240 grams. Rather than weigh my counterweight, or pull it off and use a VTF weighing protocol (he is requesting), does anyone (like BRF or VPI) know what was used in terms of weight for an original JMW 12? It would be great to know this, as I would like to move to a low hung counterweight. Thanks so much for any information!!

Mark
masluck1

Postby Packgrog » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:39 am

I can't help you with all of that, but I will be selling my 120g weight soon. If anyone is interested, pm me.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Mr_Putty » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:45 pm

Now that the Fatboy design is out, what would you guys think of a standard 3D arm mod that uses the same counter weight design? It could be done by gluing a threaded sleeve to the arm so that a threaded counter weight could be used. My stock counterweight keeps getting loose and I would prefer the more accurate balance of the thread adjustment. Would there be any disadvantages?
Mr_Putty

Postby Brf » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:Now that the Fatboy design is out, what would you guys think of a standard 3D arm mod that uses the same counter weight design? It could be done by gluing a threaded sleeve to the arm so that a threaded counter weight could be used. My stock counterweight keeps getting loose and I would prefer the more accurate balance of the thread adjustment. Would there be any disadvantages?

Both the original JMW 10 and JMW 12 had a threaded circular counterweight (c/w) similar the the Fatboy design but was later changed to the tear drop c/w in attempted to lower more mass below the pivot point. Now that most users have employed the dual pivot assembly which in affect has turned the JMW tonearm from a true uni-pivot to a constrained uni-pivot, couple with the fact that the 3D tonearms have adjustable azimuth side weights, we may see a return to a threaded c/w.

Personally, I would not want to see a threaded retro fit offering due to the fact that mechanical rigidity is paramount.
Brf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio