KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Re: Manley chinook owners..HELP

Postby Ellingtonic » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:09 pm

The Amperex 7308 green tubes were a big enough upgrade to my Chinook that I've never considered going back to the stock tubes.
Ellingtonic

Postby gene9p » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:11 pm

been a while since I posted about the Chinook. Running strong with a quad of Genalex Gold Lions. The hum I was getting from using an MC, both the Lyra Delos and the HW special Vas Nova .8vm has been resolved. Finally got some free time to try some different locations for placement and now it's gone. Just moving it to a shelf lower away from the Classic 2 did the job. Now it's super quiet with the gain switches raised up. Excellent combo with the Vinnie Rossi LIO Integrated. A lot easier to movie things around without all the separates. I will miss my Mac gear but the LIO is fantastic with the Chinook and my Harbeths.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (130.42 KiB) Viewed 266 times
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby jmcox » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:18 pm

Really sharp set up gene9p, thanks for the pic. How do you like the Vinnie Rossi unit? They sure are pretty !!
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova Gold .25, VAS .30 MONO/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables, Furman Reference 15i
jmcox

Postby gene9p » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm

It's just great.I was able to get a fantastic deal on it from Vinnie Rossi as a trade in with full 10 year warranty.A good 40% off with 30 day return policy. I cannot get into everything that was in this unit and the extra savings that were offered too but I turned down because of my Chinook and Bryston Dac. I can tell you that if you ever had an interest in a LIO now is a great time to contact Vinnie. He is accepting trade ins of his LIO's and DHT's towards his new line of products so some great gear will be resold at great savings with full warranties and return policies.Customer service is as good as it gets. You know how Harry and Matt look after the VPI owners, Vinnie is the same with his gear and his customers always come first. I feel very comfortable knowing should I have any issues with any gear, I have Harry, Vinnie, James Tanner of Bryston, and the folks at Manley to turn to.
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby soundwatts » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:03 pm

gene9p wrote:been a while since I posted about the Chinook. Running strong with a quad of Genalex Gold Lions. The hum I was getting from using an MC, both the Lyra Delos and the HW special Vas Nova .8vm has been resolved. Finally got some free time to try some different locations for placement and now it's gone. Just moving it to a shelf lower away from the Classic 2 did the job. Now it's super quiet with the gain switches raised up. Excellent combo with the Vinnie Rossi LIO Integrated. A lot easier to movie things around without all the separates. I will miss my Mac gear but the LIO is fantastic with the Chinook and my Harbeths.

What happened to the amperex tubes you were using?
Prime Signature
Ortofon Quintet Black
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ii
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Bluesound Vault 2
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby gene9p » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:07 am

still have them....they are getting a break along with EH stock tubes
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby soundwatts » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:41 am

gene9p wrote:still have them....they are getting a break along with EH stock tubes

thats cool. what differences do you hear and do you have a preference? I know I liked the stock ones more than the ones that came with the SE.
Prime Signature
Ortofon Quintet Black
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ii
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Bluesound Vault 2
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby gene9p » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:00 am

the stocks are much better to my ears than the Se tubes. I bought a set and sold them shortly thereafter. The Amperex have an old fashioned sound to them which is great for vocals and jazz. The Genalex handle anything like the stock EH. One nice thing about the LIO is that it also takes the same tubes but overall the Genalex and EH sound the best for my everyday anything listening. The stock tubes of the LIO are a bit bright but were never broken in and may get better in time should I ever place them back. I got some nice deals on the Genalex, my favorite with my Mac gear,so there are 2 in the LIO and 4 in the Chinook. I'm not going to tell you the Genalex are a game changer in the Chinook.The EH are hand picked, tested, burnt in and matched by Manley. The result is obvious as you know, great!
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby miner » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Have you taken the cover off of your Chinook Gene?
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Nakamichi ZX-7 cass.; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1
miner

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio