Manley chinook owners..HELP

Re: Manley chinook owners..HELP

Postby Leonel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Yes, I will give both settings (397 and 787) a try .
Thank you
Leonel

Postby soundwatts » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:58 am

Gene9p how did the amperex work out for you.
New Prime Scout 2017
Koetsu Black Goldline
Conrad Johnson PV9a
Conrad Johnson MV55
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
JM Lab Daline 3.1
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby gene9p » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:02 am

soundwatts wrote:Gene9p how did the amperex work out for you.

So far pretty good. A bit lighter than the stock tubes but nice soundstage and good bass. Vocals sound really good too.These will take some time to break in as they are NOS and tested only for performance and leaks. They are not like upscaleaudio's tubes which can be previously burned in, cryo treated, etc. for which there is a premium price to pay for nor Manley's burn in process for their stock tubes.I like them enough at this point to put the cover back on the Chinook and pack the stocks. They are superior to the Phillips platinum grades which were disappointing. Considering how much the white lettered PQ's cost, even used,I am glad I picked the up Amperex Green Globes.NIce sound for a nice price and I have 5 of them. I will continue to update as they break in.

Amperex Green Globe vs Chinook Stock Tube

Last edited by gene9p on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby MMMC » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:13 pm

gene9p wrote:
soundwatts wrote:Gene9p how did the amperex work out for you.

So far pretty good. A bit lighter than the stock tubes but nice soundstage and good bass. Vocals sound really good too.These will take some time to break in as they are NOS and tested only for performance and leaks. They are not like upscaleaudio's tubes which can be previously burned in, cryo treated, etc. for which there is a premium price to pay for nor Manley's burn in process for their stock tubes.I like them enough at this point to put the cover back on the Chinook and pack the stocks. They are superior to the Phillips platinum grades which were disappointing. Considering how much the white lettered PQ's cost, even used,I am glad I picked the up Amperex Green Globes.NIce sound for a nice price and I have 5 of them. I will continue to update as they break in.

Amperex Green Globe vs Chinook Stock Tube

I think you will find that the 7308 tubes will take a bit longer to break in, but have overall better balance and nuance. They will sound better as more hours pass, AND, you will have longer tube life. They will last as long as the Manley. You are done buying tubes for it, forever!

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby gene9p » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:11 am

okay..a few weeks in and the Amperex Green Globes are really singing in the Chinook. I don't even think about them any more. I just turn on my system and enjoy. Of course today a pair of Harbeth 7's are arriving..lol. You will have to read about that in my other thread.
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby gene9p » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:59 pm

here's a Chinook Se for sale..nice price too

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6493 ... ps-pcc88s/
gene9p

Postby gene9p » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:14 am

a Chinook for sale on Agon..new listing..won't last long

gone....
gene9p

Postby gene9p » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:03 pm

return of the green tubes.

I had switched back to the stocks again for awhile. With the new arrival of Harbeth compact 7's, then the LFD speaker cables, and now an LFD LE MK IV my TT just wasn't sounding right. Everything else was with a little patience and cable swapping but the tt was still a bit bright and grainy. So back in went the Amperex green globes and now this is a nice combo. I just couldn't get the sound I was looking for from them when using my Mac tube preamp, however with the SS LFD integrated they are delivering a nice warm detailed sound. :mrgreen:
gene9p

Postby gene9p » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:00 pm

there is a Chinook for sale....
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6493 ... s-chinook/

and it it's audiogon as well
gene9p

Previous

Return to General Audio