Manley chinook owners..HELP

Re: Manley chinook owners..HELP

Postby soundwatts » Tue May 16, 2017 6:21 am

I am a few weeks into listening with the stock tubes. I have to say that I have not heard bass definition this accurate ever. Regardless of the medium. Whether digital analog. In addition a veil has been lifted. I can hear air around each instrument and voice as well as very deep into the soundstage. The stock tubes do err a pinch on the side of warm so that harsh recordings are tolerable. I would say this was a very good purchase. That is why you hardly see them on the used market.
New Prime Scout 2017
Koetsu Black Goldline
Conrad Johnson PV9a
Conrad Johnson MV55
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
JM Lab Daline 3.1
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby gene9p » Tue May 16, 2017 8:41 am

round 2:

swapped the Phillips to the front and the stocks to the back. This is the better of the 2 combos for sure. Still extremely wide sound stage and even less bright. Far more detailed and natural. I can definitely listen to this set up if I had to. I will give this combo a really good run through with some tough lps.
VPI CLASSIC 2[WALNUT]W CLASSIC 3 ARM, VPI SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge,MANLEY CHINOOK Phono stage,MCINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp,PARASOUND A21 Amp,KRELL Showcase CD Player ,BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac,HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS,MORROW AUDIO Interconnects and Speaker Cables
gene9p

Postby 22243crow » Tue May 16, 2017 10:46 am

I really need more time for definite answer . But as it stands now I've reached my rainbow of music. I've made many upgrades in the past few months , the chinook has removed some brightness off the top end witch is a good thing on my system. The midrange and bass are about perfect to my ears . Im really in audio withdraw right now!!!!
22243crow

Postby ZenMango » Thu May 18, 2017 11:01 pm

I've had the Chinook in my system for about a year, stock Phillips, and really enjoy the synergy with my Lyra Delos. A definite keeper. Looking to kick up the magic soon with maybe some Amperex 7308's.
VPI HW19; TNT mods, JMW-10, Lyra Delos, Manley Chinook, SDS.
Parasound JC2BP Pre, Margules U280sc Tube Amp. Arcam FMJ CD36. Apogee Stages-Sound Anchor stands. Straightwire Maestro, Nordost Blue Heaven, HW16.5
ZenMango

Postby soundwatts » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:56 am

So a couple of months into it, and hard to believe but the chinook opened up even more. Still with the stock tubes.
Will be going over to a friend's house to AB with a K&K maxed out which he insists is a better unit.
Will report back
New Prime Scout 2017
Koetsu Black Goldline
Conrad Johnson PV9a
Conrad Johnson MV55
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
JM Lab Daline 3.1
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby gene9p » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:11 am

I am receiving a set of Amperex 7308 green globes today. NOS..made in Holland. Why..I have no clue. The Chinook sounds great with the stock tubes. Guess I have the experimenting bug hitting me again..LOL. I will be installing them tomorrow as I have no time tonight. I did get a very nice deal...250 but had to take all 5 of the set. Updates and photos to follow.

here is what I am expecting

VPI CLASSIC 2[WALNUT]W CLASSIC 3 ARM, VPI SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge,MANLEY CHINOOK Phono stage,MCINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp,PARASOUND A21 Amp,KRELL Showcase CD Player ,BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac,HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS,MORROW AUDIO Interconnects and Speaker Cables
gene9p

Postby Brf » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:39 am

Those are very nice sounding tubes and will perform well in your Chinook. Should be nice and quiet also.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Leonel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:50 pm

I'm having a hard time understanding the Chinook instructions on how to set the load , I've been using it for about to month with a Zephir MK III (mm) so I didn't have to mess with the setting but now I have MCMI Star that calls for a starting loading of 470, the internal gain setting of either 45 or 60 dB is simple but the load capacitance and impedance setting in the back is a little confusing . Any advice/guidance/hand holding will be greatly appreciated :mrgreen:
Leonel

Postby gene9p » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:00 am

I would contact Manley directly or try Seth at Sound Stage direct. They sell the Chinook as well as the Soundsmith cartridges.
gene9p

Postby madrac » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Looking at the Zephyr MIMC manual, looks like the starting load is 470 ohms. The closest on the Chinook is to move R4 (the 400 ohm) dip switches to the on position. this gives you 397 ohms per the manual. otherwise, move R5 (800 ohm) up for 787 ohms resistance. I'd leave the capacitance setting at the default (50pF) to start. Below is from the manual for your cartridge that I found on line

The Zephyr MIMC Star is designed to be used with a Moving Coil Preamp at about 63dB of gain. Some have successfully used the Zephyr MIMC Star with a Moving Magnet preamp, assuming that there is sufficient gain in both the MM preamp stage and following it.
The new Zephyr MIMC Star requires a MINIMUM RESISTIVE LOAD of 470 Ohms, with best loading determined by your system and your listening preferences. Usually, this is between 470 and 1000 Ohms. There is no harm in using a 47K typical MM load, but you may experience a peaked high end. Capacitive loading may reduce that effect somewhat to a satisfactory degree. Again, loading requirements will be determined by your system, and your personal listening preferences. PLEASE NOTE that loading well below 470 Ohms will result in loss of high frequencies.
madrac

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio