Manley chinook owners..HELP

Re: Manley chinook owners..HELP

Postby MMMC » Sat May 06, 2017 12:58 am

gene9p wrote:at more than twice the price....

gene9p,

I know you love your Chinook, which as a lightly used piece is more than great value. Nevertheless, the Andros is a very nice phono pre that offers features the Chinook does not, and does make a wonderful presentation. As I'm sure you well understand, additional resolution, and features are not free. Generally, we all get what we pay for, and having heard an Andros, I undestand it's owners comment, and certainly does not detract from your Chinook. If I can offer you one small suggestion, I saw an offer of Amperex 7308 tubes to you. Did you by any chance pursue them? With all due respect to Kevin, the Philips 7dj8 are likely a nice buy, (much less demand), but Amperex 7308 are in a different league with respect to balance, sound stage and tonal depth. Without hearing them in the Chinook, not sure if they will shine sonicly as I know they are capable of, but may be worth considering as a future tube roll. That's just my opinion.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby gene9p » Sat May 06, 2017 9:51 am

Sorry no I did not. I did inquire about the Amperex as that was my intention to purchase them .They talked me into the Phillips instead. I was looking to buy 2 Amperex for the rear tubes which are supposed to be ones that provide the sound improvement. I actually had them in my cart but called the store b4 pulling the trigger to see if I needed 4. Oh well....I guess I could call back to complain but I would just as soon sell the Phillips after messing with them a little more. I just may inquire about the Amperex offer to see what he is asking for the quad set. Right now the stocks are rocking so I don't feel the need to invest in another set of tubes....but..... :D
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby 22243crow » Sat May 06, 2017 11:02 am

I have a Manley Chinook on order . Can anyone give a good starting point for settings on my Chinook for a Dynavector 20X2 low- output mc cartridge ? Just for reference my system consist of a Rogue Audio Pharaoh integrated amp,2017 VPI Prime Scout,B/W CM10 speakers Thanks for any suggestions !!!!
22243crow

Postby Brf » Sat May 06, 2017 4:06 pm

22243crow wrote:I have a Manley Chinook on order . Can anyone give a good starting point for settings on my Chinook for a Dynavector 20X2 low- output mc cartridge ? Just for reference my system consist of a Rogue Audio Pharaoh integrated amp,2017 VPI Prime Scout,B/W CM10 speakers Thanks for any suggestions !!!!

Gain 50 db
Loading 100 ohms
Brf
Site Admin

Postby soundwatts » Sat May 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Don't know what the gain is on the linestage which is what you plug the Chinook into. But you would experiment with 45DB and 60DB which are the two options on the Manley.

There is already a phono stage in your preamp how does that sound?

Brf is right to tell you to load at 100 ohms to start. Then go up or down a bit and tune the rest by ear.
New Prime Scout 2017
Koetsu Black Goldline
Conrad Johnson PV9a
Conrad Johnson MV55
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
JM Lab Daline 3.1
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby 22243crow » Sun May 07, 2017 7:40 am

The phono stage in my Pharaoh is ok. Im looking for a lot more performance out of the Manley Chinook . Thanks for the response ,now have starting points!!!
22243crow

Postby soundwatts » Wed May 10, 2017 7:26 pm

22243crow when are you expecting the Chinook. Would like to hear what you think
New Prime Scout 2017
Koetsu Black Goldline
Conrad Johnson PV9a
Conrad Johnson MV55
JM Lab Daline 3.1
soundwatts

Postby gene9p » Mon May 15, 2017 11:09 am

With the demise of the New York Rangers...grrrr.. I have time to mess around a bit for some experimenting. I sent an e-mail to upscale audio about exchanging the Phillips but got no reply. I probably should have called. I decide to mix some Phillips with some of the Russian stocks. Note, I reset my VTF to 1.3 when I re-installed the Russian stock tubes. With the 2 rear tubes most favored for sound, out went the stocks and in went the Phillips. With this combo I only listened for a short time so far. The sound stage went very wide as the Phillips can really stretch out a room. The vocals and bass are lighter but not as light as with 4 Phillips in place. Before I go resetting my VTF to 1.6 to compensate the sound, I plan to listen to this combo for a bit longer and try swapping out the Phillips to the front slots and the stocks to the rear. I left the cover off the Chinook to make the transition simple. I don't think it will take too long to find out if there is anyplace for the Phillips to perform to my liking.
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby 22243crow » Mon May 15, 2017 11:56 am

soundwatts wrote:22243crow when are you expecting the Chinook. Would like to hear what you think

Soundwatts after about 3 days of of listing my Pharaoh went south. Needless to say I had to box up and send back to Rogue Audio for repair . To be continued!!!!!!
22243crow

Postby soundwatts » Tue May 16, 2017 6:15 am

22243crow. How did it sound for the 3 days?
New Prime Scout 2017
Koetsu Black Goldline
Conrad Johnson PV9a
Conrad Johnson MV55
JM Lab Daline 3.1
soundwatts

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio