Manley chinook owners..HELP

Manley chinook owners..HELP

Postby gene9p » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:11 pm

I see some used and demos around lately. I am curious will a Chinook be a good match for my McIntosh C220 tube pre amp?. Or is it better used with an SS preamp. I still have my Parasound JC2 . What settings would you recommend on the Chinook for a Sounsdsmith Aida. I am seriously thinking about getting one.

Thanks
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Re: Manley chinook owners..HELP

Postby 10ovr » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:40 pm

Call Kevin (the owner) at up scale audio,,, He sells more chinooks then anybody in the USA and is best friends with the owner,,,He can answer all you questions ,,Great guy to work with ,Easy going ,,,Tell him Tim from AZ sent ya,,,, https://www.upscaleaudio.com
10ovr

Postby gene9p » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:04 pm

spoke to Kevin..offered a very nice deal on the SE. I also spoke to Seth at Soundstage, he offered me a nice deal as well. Spoke to Audio Classics and they said it's hit or miss using a tube phono with a Mac tube pre amp.....very confusing. Seth did offer a nice return policy but I hate to buy something just to return it though I know in this ever shrinking world of local audio stores it's the only way to try one out.
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby Cat5plus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Buy from Seth ! The entire staff at Sound Stage Direct are just fantastic. If you are not happy for any reason, Seth will do what it takes. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I have used the Steelhead in the past with a all tube pre amp with great results!
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby spinblackcircle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:20 pm

VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby gene9p » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:26 pm

thanks..Seth is a great guy from my past experience. Trying also to figure where to fit it in my ever overcrowded rack..lol. The MS phono is very small where the Chinook is not. :D

interesting read. I have changed the tubes in my C220 to Genalex Gold Lion, gold pins. I actually prefer Tungsol tubes over the Genalex in the phono input. The MS gives so many options for MM and MC with all switches , load, gain,on the rear panel so it's easy to mess around with.That's what sold me on it it when compared to others that have to be opened up. But then again the Chinook offers a lot of settings and is very highly reguarded.

Damn you tax refund..LOL
gene9p

Postby miner » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:43 pm

I use a ChinookSE with my McIntosh C2300 pre and love the combo. I had to go to this level of phono pre to beat the onboard phono stage of the C2300. I initially had issues with my ChinookSE but Kevin D. fixed it quickly by sending me a new one directly from Manley. A great vendor to work with.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1 sub-bass system
miner

Postby Johnny » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:49 pm

The Chinook is awesome. Good price to performance
Johnny

Postby gene9p » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:57 pm

what is the difference with the SE. From what I see on line ,a different faceplate and tubes..anything else??
gene9p

Postby Johnny » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:58 pm

gene9p wrote:what is the difference with the SE. From what I see on line ,a different faceplate and tubes..anything else??

Nope, that's it
Johnny

Next

Return to General Audio