Any VPI owners using Graham Phantom tonearm?

Any VPI owners using Graham Phantom tonearm?

Postby DrumTemp » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi Folks,

I've just placed my order for an Avenger Reference table, and was wondering if anyone is using a Graham Phantom tonearm with SME mount on their VPI table? Any issues?

Thanks,
DT
Avenger Reference, Graham Phantom III, Benz Micro LP S, AI Mod 3B, Pass Labs X250.8, Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
DrumTemp

Re: Any VPI owners using Graham Phantom tonearm?

Postby Dorian » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:43 pm

I can't answer your question, but congrats on the Avenger Reference!
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Brf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:22 pm

I used one on my former TNT table. Great tonearm, but terrible after sale service.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby DrumTemp » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:58 pm

Thanks Dorian!

Yes, Brf, my understanding is Bob Graham pretty much runs a one man show with Graham Engineering. I had a Graham 1.5-2.2T/C on my HW-19 Mk.IV turntable and the combo was really good. I've since mounted a Graham Phantom III on the same armboard, and the angle of the cutout doesn't work for the Phantom as it did for the 2.2 (both SME based). Hence, my question to forum members. I know VPI has cut many an armboard since my original purchase of the HW-19, so I can't imagine there would be a problem with drilling the Avenger armboard for the Phantom.
Avenger Reference, Graham Phantom III, Benz Micro LP S, AI Mod 3B, Pass Labs X250.8, Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
DrumTemp

Postby DrumTemp » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Hmmm, could I be the only VPI owner on the forum that uses a Graham Phantom tonearm?
DrumTemp

Postby Gary1955 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Have you listened to the 12 inch 3D Reference tonearm on the Avenger? Wonderful tonearm. I don't mean to knock the Graham Phanton, which is a beautiful arm, but am suggesting a listen to the synergy of the 3D Ref. with the Avenger Ref. I think you'll be very impressed!
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby DrumTemp » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:58 pm

I have not heard the 3D reference arm. I've always been very impressed with the Graham arms. However, as the Avenger can hold up to 3 arms, there is always the possibility! ;)
DrumTemp

Postby Saburo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:15 pm

Brf wrote:I used one on my former TNT table. Great tonearm, but terrible after sale service.

Unfortunately this is true. I've had issues getting parts/support for both the 2.2 and Phantom I used on a Mk V TNT (I loved both arms!). I sent the Phantom armwand in because I could never get azimuth right. looking at it straight on the headshell was cocked ever so slightly to one side (not 90 degrees to the base). he had it for two months with no replies to calls or emails. I later caught up to him at the Newport Show, when he saw my name tag he began apologizing profusely. It still took two weeks from that day to get my wand back. His daughter helps with the business but he's still a one man band.
Saburo

Postby Mat » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:56 pm

The Graham and the SME have been the two alternative favorites on the Avenger and can both be easily mounted :)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby DrumTemp » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:27 am

Thanks, Matt!

Really looking forward to spinning the Avenger. I've owned my HW-19 Mk.IV since the very early nineties when I purchased it as a HW-19 Jr; it continues to run smooth and sound wonderful! VPI all the way! :D
DrumTemp

Next

Return to General Audio