Little Fwend Automatic Tonearm Lift

Re: Little Fwend Automatic Tonearm Lift

Postby husafreak » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:27 am

Good thing to know. I have a Scout II and plan on getting the ring some day. There is not much room for the LF! Is a scoutmaster the same footprint as a Scout?
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby Gary1955 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:48 am

It *should* fit without any problem on the plinth. You will need the tall version especially if you have the Classic platter. I believe the footprint of the Scout is similar to the Scoutmaster, the Super Scoutmaster has a doubled-up plinth.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby husafreak » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:00 pm

That is what I thought, thanks.
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby Gary1955 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:22 am

As a followup, I get a tickle :) watching the tonearm lift itself up at the end of the record all by itself- safely, slowly, silently and smoothly. I'm very happy I got this thing!!

Installation tip- When setting up the LF use a record with the narrowest run out groove area. Once the Little Fwend is set up you will not have to readjust for records with different size run out grooves. This is a "set it and forget it" installation. Just remember to push down the lifter after playing a record to get it ready for the next time you play, otherwise the tonearm will hit the lifter when playing...
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby husafreak » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:44 pm

I just received a periphery ring and I do not think a Little Fwend will work with this accessory, no room :(
Attachments
IMG_0195 (1).JPG
No room for Little Fwend here.
IMG_0195 (1).JPG (29.49 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
husafreak

Postby Orchids1 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:42 pm

I have to ask. Letting a needle spin around in a run-out track or even on a label for hours on end can't be wonderful for either the needle or the label. But, a diamond is a hell of a lot harder than vinyl or paper, and it's tough to believe that spending a little time in the run-out is going to result in needle wear greater than what it gets when it's in the record groove. I understand that it sounds lousy, and the lift is beautifully machined and looks cool. But, is anyone actually using this lift to prevent damage to the needle.
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby 10ovr » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Orchids1 wrote:I have to ask. Letting a needle spin around in a run-out track or even on a label for hours on end can't be wonderful for either the needle or the label. But, a diamond is a hell of a lot harder than vinyl or paper, and it's tough to believe that spending a little time in the run-out is going to result in needle wear greater than what it gets when it's in the record groove. I understand that it sounds lousy, and the lift is beautifully machined and looks cool. But, is anyone actually using this lift to prevent damage to the needle.

If you look at a record the grove goes into an endless loop,,Never hits anything,,,A locked groove is used at the end of a track, and makes the needle stick in a single groove until the listener manually lifts the needle up
10ovr

Postby Orchids1 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:36 pm

I'm sorry, but does that mean that it somehow damages the needle or not.
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby 10ovr » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:05 pm

It just sounds worse then it is,,Over a long period of time it well cause wear,, A few ‘serious’ artists have used a final lockgroove to include jokes, and in the case of English band Heaven 17, a perpetual pun. The final track on their ‘Penthouse & Pavement’ album – ‘We’re Going
to Live for a Very Long Time’ – builds to a never-ending groove repeating the phrase ‘For a very long time.’ The James Gang’s “Yer Album” features messages in the lockgrooves that end each side. At the end of side one, the lockgroove repeats “turn me over, turn me over, turn
me over…”; and on side two it plays “play me again, play me again, play me
again…”.
10ovr

Postby husafreak » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:05 pm

I've been using manual tables without auto lift since I went off to college in '77. I guess I always will. I have left the house a couple times in all those years resulting in the needle going for an hour or two. If that did any damage I don't know. But the Little Fwend is a great product in design and execution. I would have liked one. I like really well designed and made stuff. Call it pride of ownership.
husafreak

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio