Achromat/Stein Music Perfect Interface mat

Achromat/Stein Music Perfect Interface mat

Postby jmcox » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Like most of us here I've kicked around various theories, opinions and trials involving mats. A few years ago I settled on a "Mooo Mat" which I am currently using. At one point I had a "Funkfirm Achromat" (5mm), . . . (along with others) . . . but seemed to prefer the Mooo Mat as my choice at that time - but my audio system, including turntables, has evolved considerably since then. And again, it's been several years, and impressions have faded since. So I'm revisiting my thoughts on the subject and would love you guy's thoughts with respect to a couple issues:

Achromats - (5mm and 3mm) - sonics ? I'm now using the VPI perimeter clamp - would the 5mm work with that clamp ?

Does anybody have any experience with the Stein Music Perfect Interface Resonance Control mat ? (apparently quite expensive from what I've heard, and I don't know where to buy one in any case).
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, Miyajima Zero, VAS Nova Gold .25, VAS .30 MONO/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4SUT/Herron VTPH-2A/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables/Furman Reference 15i
jmcox

Re: Achromat/Stein Music Perfect Interface mat

Postby Shep » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:40 am

I saw the Carbon version of the SteinMusic mat mentioned in Fremer's review of the HW-40 where he noted it "produces noticeably better results".

Galen Carol Audio carries the SteinMusic line and you can order it there (quote below is from their website). Sorry, not sure how to convert it to a link here.

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/analog-accessories/

"A very unique and exciting interface comes from SteinMusic in Germany. Holger Stein has designed an interface utilizing a very special handmade paper from Japan that he then treats with a natural resin formulation. The result is a stiff paper with visible, irregular, fibers. Two versions are available, the Perfect Interface Signature (white in color) and Carbon Signature (which is black). Both are very effective but have different sonic characters. The white has a warmer tonal balance, the black faster and more articulate. Stein Music Perfect Interface Signature is priced at $349; the Carbon Signature goes for $599. Call to Order"
Prime Signature Rosewood; Fatboy Gimbal; Ortofon Windfeld Ti; B.M.C. MCCI Phono Pre
Shep

Postby jonathanb » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:04 pm

jmcox wrote:Achromats - (5mm and 3mm) - sonics ? I'm now using the VPI perimeter clamp - would the 5mm work with that clamp ?

The 5 mm achromat was too thick for me to use with the VPI perimeter ring. Which is why I have a 5mm achromat sitting around gathering dust.
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Proteus | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Merrill Cara | Merrill Thor (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby Arsh » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:48 am

I recently got the SteinMusic Carbon mat for my HW40. Was not using a mat before. I’m still evaluating the results but think there is better resolution of fine details, better bass overall. I like it, and will keep on my hw40. I also read about it in Michael Fremer’s review of the HW40 and then saw that he had mentioned it favorably
In a couple of other reviews. Got mine directly from Holger Stein (see their website).
Arsh

Return to General Audio