While I'm waiting

While I'm waiting

Postby 10ovr » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:34 am

While my HRX is at VPI getting a new Mag Plater and Fat Boy Gimball installed I thought I would start getting ready for it,,Am going to run two TTs ,,My Aries 3D and the HRX ,,Want to get my system out from in-between the KEF Blades ,The side load speakers on them seem to be affecting the TT with feed back,,So to start Im having a new rack built by my buddy Chris to my specs to put to the side of the room,In the mean time I thought I would make some new cable lifts for the 5.0M XLR Audio sensibility cables ,,So here we go,, New lifts to match the speaker cable lifts,,I well be using Mortise and Tenons to attach the top caps to hold in cables,,Heres what I came up with,, I well need 8 double cable holders and 8 single cable holders,,Other projects on the list to,,, ImageIMG_1361 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr ImageIMG_1362 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr ImageIMG_1364 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr ImageIMG_1366 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr
10ovr

Re: While I'm waiting

Postby Beck » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:34 am

Nicely done. If you ever decide to "take orders," put me on the list.
Prime #16-67| Fat Boy 10 | Dual Pivot | Ortofon Cadenza Black | ADS | Ayre P-5xe phono preamp, K-5xe preamp, and V-5xe amp | Audio Sensibility Statement SE interconnects and Testament speaker cables | Magneplanar 3.7i | Mapleshade audio rack
Beck

Postby Golear » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:12 pm

Very impressive.

I used some ceramic soup bowls (from my pantry) just to see what effect they'd have. There was a marked resonance in the music at the resonance note of the ceramic. One can hear the resonance note of the ceramic by tapping on them with fingers. I made some lifts from MDF, and these were a lot better. I also tried a special, non-resonant, vibration absorbing material (aka paperback books and phone books). These worked well, too.

A friend of mine got these famous ones:
https://www.musicdirect.com/year-end-eq ... gJXBvD_BwE
They did work.... very well. He used very long interconnects, and may be that had something to do with the improvement, too.

Another friend of mine used toilet paper rolls. It worked very well, but looked terrible. Still, it's a great way to see if your system will benefit from cable lifters, quickly and at no cost.

You may wish to experiment with lifting power cords, too.
Golear

Postby mreeter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:06 pm

Tim, I'm a little surprised that you commissioned someone to build your Rack. Your abilities have proven you're certainly up to the task.

Having a Steel Rack made?
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
ModWright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby 10ovr » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:30 pm

mreeter wrote:Tim, I'm a little surprised that you commissioned someone to build your Rack. Your abilities have proven you're certainly up to the task.

Two reasons
1 Sourcing Maple in AZ is very expensive ,,Would cost me a little over 1K in wood alone ,,Ouch

2 I don't have a planer big enough for a 20''x66''x3'' top,,Some Day LOL

3 I have worked with Chris a lot and he always gives me a good deal ,,Only cost me about $300 bucks more and he dose all the work,, :D
10ovr

Postby 10ovr » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Golear wrote:Very impressive.

I used some ceramic soup bowls (from my pantry) just to see what effect they'd have. There was a marked resonance in the music at the resonance note of the ceramic. One can hear the resonance note of the ceramic by tapping on them with fingers. I made some lifts from MDF, and these were a lot better. I also tried a special, non-resonant, vibration absorbing material (aka paperback books and phone books). These worked well, too.

A friend of mine got these famous ones:
https://www.musicdirect.com/year-end-eq ... gJXBvD_BwE
They did work.... very well. He used very long interconnects, and may be that had something to do with the improvement, too.

Another friend of mine used toilet paper rolls. It worked very well, but looked terrible. Still, it's a great way to see if your system will benefit from cable lifters, quickly and at no cost.

You may wish to experiment with lifting power cords, too.

I have tried a lot of different materials and I find I like Hard Wood the best,,I love trying new things to see how they sound,#3 on my list of things to do well be very different ,,Start that when my wood comes in,,,# 2 on the list is something I have made a few of,,,, More to come,,,,,,,
10ovr

Postby mreeter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:02 pm

10ovr wrote:
mreeter wrote:Tim, I'm a little surprised that you commissioned someone to build your Rack. Your abilities have proven you're certainly up to the task.

Two reasons
1 Sourcing Maple in AZ is very expensive ,,Would cost me a little over 1K in wood alone ,,Ouch

3 I have worked with Chris a lot and he always gives me a good deal ,Only cost me about $300 bucks more and he dose all the work,, :D

You must be speaking of Chris @ Timber Nation, that explains it. Wise choice!
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
ModWright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby 10ovr » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:10 pm

mreeter wrote:
10ovr wrote:

Two reasons

3 I have worked with Chris a lot and he always gives me a good deal ,Only cost me about $300 bucks more and he dose all the work,, :D

You must be speaking of Chris @ Timber Nation, that explains it. Wise choice!

Yup,,Thats my Man ,,He dose great work,,,
10ovr

Postby 10ovr » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:52 pm

Well after a few days I'm almost there ,,A little hand sanding and a few coats of lacquer should look pretty good :)
ImageIMG_1369 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr
10ovr

Postby 10ovr » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:08 am

Lifts finished now on to P Ring ,Weight and Destat III holders,,One for each side of rack,, ImageIMG_1370 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr
10ovr

Next

Return to General Audio